Overcoming fear

Daniel's POV

Slowly her almond shaped eyes slowly met mine, awkwardly holding the clothes. I often wondered why she was so reserved, hesitate to even look into my eyes! Evie would be mad if she knew about it. But today I was determined to find about what the hell was going in her mind.

"Shashi, However I try and not to think of you. I simply can't. I am always eager to come to see you dance." I told her, stepping closer to her.

She looked away, but the obvious color on her cheeks was highlighting her feelings. She started fiddling with her clothes while moving her tongue across her slightly quivering lower lip. My thoughts suddenly dwelled on her lip, and going in completely the other direction. So I tore my gaze away, she was not that type of girl. I knew in my heart.

"So, I was wondering, mainly thinking, if you would consider..mm..consider going out," I managed to say from my well-rehearsed speech. "I mean I am going to tell Evie about it. She will understand," I lied knowing well enough that Evie would not only be heartbroken but would through a ruckus over it. She always had been the one who kept the relationship going, either by fighting or acting clingier.

"No," She said with a barely louder than a whisper dropping the clothes. "I.. I can't go out with you anywhere. I am here to dance. And I don't want to do anything other than that."

I felt a sudden pit in my stomach. Was she unattainable? Her love was something I would never have! I didn't knew, what to feel anymore. It was not something I was familiar with. Before Evie, even now, girls always wanted my attention. But I didn't like to keep my feet in two places, so I chose to only stay with Evie.

But the building desperation did not help at all. Instead I moved even closer to her, the heat of her body was radiating to mine. I slowly raised my hand to her cheeks, as she closed her eyes.

"Please. I ask for one chance," and I touched her cheek, with a feather touch. Her touch burned my fingers. Slowly it went to her lips and I felt a sudden nudge on my shoulders. I took the steps back to face the intruder. It was Evie, her face was matching her red hair now.

--*--*--

The next few days were tormenting as Evie blasted me with blames. She was mad at Shashi too! I tried telling her that it was not her fault. But she was really not taking anybody into consideration. It was no use talking to her anymore. But I kept visiting the dance studio, though it was officially over between us. Shashi kept begging for her forgiveness, yet she was not giving in.

I couldn't help but feel like a jerk. Maybe the whole timing was bad. So I decided to take a break from the whole thing and focus on my studies. With college few months away, I was caught in the dilemma on which stream to follow. I scored well at each subject, but often when I thought of liking any particular subject, I used to get lost. How could people find their passion? Was I looking it in opposite direction? I more I thought, the more panic would set in.

Not seeing Shashi was the biggest punishment I had got from the mess. It was like something was missing in my daily life. I used to literally find thousands of excuses to see her during their rehearsals. But now I was witnessing the pain in her eyes I caused her. She was indeed closer to Evie. Days passed in utter despair, she still occupied my most of thinking.

On a Sunday morning, the doorbell to our house rang. I checked the car outside through the window, and sighed. It was Shashi's dad, he had been spending each Sunday with my dad, always working in his study room. I returned to the magazine at hand, I had been reading a particular success story of a commerce start up, which made a huge buzz in London. They initially sold online medicines in London at first year, which was a novelty in London. Now they had diversified to selling to top hospitals at considerable discounts.