008

Warning: short total fluff chapter.

September 30th, 1993.

There were times when being together was so easy, so effortless for them both.

It was in these calm times that there was no need for Tate to even really try, no call to work any subtle manipulation on the hands of fate.

"I got you something," Eve's voice took on a sing song pitch as he flopped backwards on her bed, inhaling the incense laden scent of her room.

"What, why?" he asked. His birthday wasn't until December and, unless he'd completely forgotten, there was no call for presents near the end of September.

"Just 'cause. Now, hurry up, close your eyes," she insisted, grinning and holding something behind her back.

Suspicious but compliant, he did as he was told.

"Open them."

Blinking, he looked down into his lap. There, still wrapped in plastic, was the latest Nirvana album, In Utero.

"Oh, shit, Eve," he exclaimed with a broad smile, holding the album as though it were nothing short of a great treasure. "That's so, so cool. Thank you. But, I don't get it. What's this for?"

"I don't know, something to listen to... And because I love you," she grinned and hopped onto the bed next to him, placing a kiss on his cheek.

He could feel his face flushing brilliantly and he ducked his head slightly, hoping she wouldn't notice. If she did, she said nothing.

"Well, c'mon," she prompted him with a playful grin, "let's listen to it."

He unwrapped the case and passed the disc to her to pop into the boom box on her nightstand.

As the beginning notes of "Serve The Servants" drifted through the speakers, she laid down beside him and her hand found his, the ever present smell of lavender and cigarettes emenating from her dark hair as it spilled across his shoulder.

It was one of the rare moments when it all stopped - the voices, the anxious feelings, all of it. The weight he usually felt crushing down on him and all the fear dissolved entirely. Things were exactly where they ought to have been, perfect in every way.

It was moments such as that which made it so important to make sure things stayed that way, though he couldn't bring himself to think about such things just then.

With her hand in his, Kurt Cobain's voice filtering through the room, and his head finally in utter quiet, Tate couldn't be bothered to think of much.

×××

I thought these two could use a happy chapter, however brief, before things ramp up crazy for them. Hope you liked!

As always, don't forget to comment or vote if you're enjoying.