Chapter 1

"I'm so freaking excited!" Charlotte exclaimed.  She squirmed joyfully in the passenger seat of the blue 1970 Ford pick-up truck.  Benjamin laughed as he started to tap on the steering wheel with eagerness.

"How much longer 'till we get there?" Charlotte asked and turned toward Benjamin.

"Not much longer." he said with a chuckle.  He strained his head to try and see the road through the heavy blizzard that was engulfing them.

Charlotte and Benjamin had been married for almost two months. Both coming from low-income families, they could only afford a small wedding and no honeymoon. But that didn't stop the couple. Charlotte and Benjamin decided to take a road trip for their honeymoon. Using the pick-up truck that Benjamin's father gave to him as a wedding present, the newlyweds drove around America in search for the perfect town to start their lives in, together. They traversed for almost a month but found no such place. They decided to go back home to New York and try again in a few years.

In Northern Pennsylvania on their way back to New York, the old blue pick-up truck broke down. The couple walked through the bitter cold November wind in search of assistance. While trudging through the snow and dirt, the couple stumbled across the quaint, little town of Winter Hollow. As they gazed upon the snow covered town, they knew that they had found the place of their dreams. Their town. They could feel it.

The following week, Charlotte and Benjamin explored the wonders of Winter Hollow. The beautiful land, trees, and people. The people welcomed them with open arms and made them feel at home. In no time at all, Charlotte and Benjamin found an old Victorian foreclosure house on two thousand acres of land. The house was beautiful and unique. The perfect place for the two to start their family.

The couple quickly put in an offer and it was accepted almost right away by the bank.

"Who is the guy we're supposed to meet to get the keys?" Benjamin asked, still struggling to see the road.

"Um....  A man by the name of Christopher C.  No last name."  Charlotte answered while flipping through a stack of papers about the house.

"Got it," Benjamin said, "Hey Charlie!  We're in Winter Hollow!"

They slowly drove past the town sign with childlike smiles across their faces.  The town was just as beautiful as they remembered. As they drove down Main Street, they gaped at the small shops, libraries, and restaurants as the snow began to subside.

Benjamin turned off of Main Street and took a few turns down different avenues and boulevards.  Then, the couple drove on to a long dirt road for what seemed to be miles. Eventually, the house came into view. 

"Wow."  Charlotte said. An older man was standing on the porch. The man had snow white hair and a matching beard.  He stood with an arch in his back and it seemed as if he could barely stand without holding on to the porch.  He seemed to have a distressed look on his face as the couple pulled up.

Benjamin parked the car and heard the ignition die down.  Charlotte whipped off her seat belt and jumped out of the car.  Benjamin took off his seat belt slowly and opened the driver's side door.  The man, to the couple's surprise, walked down the porch steps to meet them with ease.

"Hello!  Welcome to Winter Hollow!  My name is Christopher."  the man said as he approached Charlotte and Benjamin.  Charlotte bounce giddily over to the man as Benjamin trailed behind her. 

"Hello, sir.  My name is Benjamin Mathers and this is my wife Charlotte." Benjamin said as he shook Christopher's hand and then gestured to Charlotte.  Charlotte grasped his hand and shook it violently.