Chapter 6

It had taken hours of patience waiting for Healer Casler to spare a few minutes of time, but recently Halt had become a master of patience. The stocky round healer stepped into his office and greeted the Ranger with a firm handshake. "Good to see you, Halt. I've not had a chance to check on Will lately. How is he?"

"Recovering. He's found a lot of himself, but still missing some pieces. Nights are difficult, which is what I wanted to see you about. The nightmares are constant. And continue to change. The Kayzar are usually involved, but the victim often changes. Last night he dreamed that Tug was taken from him and killed. It was more graphic than that in his mind, of course, but if his mind can't rest, his body can't rest. He wears out quickly."

"So you want something to help him sleep?" The healer followed Halt's build up easily enough.

"Yes. Nothing too strong. Just enough to take the edge off so he can rest."

"And to allow you rest. You look as worn as I've ever seen you."

Halt didn't disagree completely. "I feel worn, though I'm fine."

"Uh huh. I know you well enough Halt to know that you don't often ask for help. So when you do, it's serious. I can give you a sedative for him. I don't know if it'll combat the worst of the nightmares, but it should help some. Just go easy on it. I don't want him relying too heavily on a medicine to get him past this."

Halt bowed his head in thanks as the healer disappeared briefly then returned with a small box. "One pill before bed. Reduce it to a half in a week's time. If it doesn't help, let me know." Final instructions and the healer excused himself for another call he had to make. Halt made for the Diplomatic Service office, hoping he would not run into Will's close friend, Alyss on the way. A welcoming presence greeted him at the door. Lady Pauline's long gray hair framed her sculpted face, and only added to her elegance. She always saved her warmest smiles for Halt, even if he didn't always return the gesture.

"Will?"

"Slow progress, but progress."

She invited him to sit and took a spot in the empty chair next to him. "Gilan has been giving me updates. I promise that I'm not prodding, and he's been allowing Will his privacy, but I have been worried. I know how much that boy means to you."

He gave her a questioning look.

"It's not exactly a secret for those of us who know you, Halt. He's been good for you. I worry about you both. And what Gilan tells me goes no further. I swear to you."

Halt breathed a sigh of relief, to his own surprise. "You have my gratitude, Pauline. For that and for the assistance you have given. The clothes have been most welcome. Will has been thinking about asking Crowley to have Ranger attire made from that fabric."

The lady laughed. "Smart boy. I'm glad to have helped. If I can do anything more..." She knew how much Halt hated asking for help, but the fact that he had, several times during this ordeal; gave her pause. The boy's presence into his life had affected him more than she ever could have imagined. And she was grateful of that presence. "How about lunch before you go? You look as if you've missed more than a few meals recently."

"It has been difficult," he admitted.

"Being there for someone who has lost everything while taking care of yourself at the same time, is not easy."

"I should get back." Halt shifted in his chair, his discomfort with the conversation obvious. "I shouldn't be away for too long."

"Will will understand. He needs time apart from you. You won't always be there when his mind floats back to what has happened. Gilan is with him right now, yes?"