Chapter 1

You stood amidst all the extraordinary devices and machines, ranging in different sizes, textures, colors, and tasks they completed. It was the showcase of SFIT, a competition between many graduated high school students trying to win a registration form into the college. Their inventions had to be amazing and creative enough to blow away Professor Callaghan's mind, which was pretty impossible. Your boyfriend's brother, Tadashi Hamada, had barely been able to do it several years ago, but still received the registration form. Now, it was Hiro's turn try to blow his mind away once again - and you were with the "nerd school" squad helping him.

Tadashi sighed at the surrounding displays. "Wow," he said admiringly, "a lot of sweet tech here today." He looked at Hiro, pushing a large, blue recycling bin. "How ya' feeling?"

"You're talking to an ex-bot fighter." he said smugly. "It takes a lot more than this to rattle me."

"Yep, he's nervous." Gogo said, and you laughed a wispy laugh with her while pushing two more bins behind them.

"You have nothing to fear, little fella!" Fred said enthusiastically.

"Aww, he's so tense!" said Honey Lemon.

Hiro shrugged his shoulders. "No I'm not!"

She ignored him. "Relax, Hiro! Your tech is amazing!" She poked her head between you and your gum-popping friend. "Tell him, Gogo!"

"Stop whining, woman up."

As they continued to comment on his work, and as Wasabi offered breath mints and deodorant, you stared at the bins. His microbots were the best invention he'd made yet. You helped him with the idea of making them, after you'd went with Aunt Cass to help pick him and Tadashi up from the police station. Thinking of that day made you angry that you weren't able to scold him; all you could do was cast your death glare. Not fun, being a mute.

Still, you were happy with the sixteen-year-old Einstein, glad that he had asked you out two months ago, glad that he was labeled as "yours." He made you forget the cons of being a mute, not being able to tell him that he's funny, or that he's amazing, at least not with your mouth (Hiro was still trying to master sign language). You didn't have to say "I love you" for him to understand - you could peck him on the cheek, and that was all he needed.

You all arrived behind the stage curtain, setting the bins in a single row. They were still giving him encouraging words, when the announcer called Hiro up to the stage. He looked frozen with worry.

"Okay okay - photo, photo!" she grouped everyone to fit in the lens of her phone. "Everybody say Hirooooo!!"

Hiro smiled nervously as everyone echoed Honey Lemon's command, while you simply mouthed his name. They smothered him in hugs, saying thinks like "Of course Callaghan will love you!" and "Knock 'em dead! and Fred, saying "SCIENCE YEAAHHH!!!" Then they disappeared into the audience, leaving you, Hiro and Tadashi alone.

Tadashi held up his fist to Hiro, waiting for a responding bump. "Alright, bro, this is it."

Hiro stared off into space, ignoring the both of you as you stood in front of him.

"C'mon, don't leave me hanging..." Tadashi's expression turned worried when he saw his younger brother's face. "What's going on?"

Hiro sighed heavily. "I... really... want to go here."

Tadashi smiled. "Hey," he said softly, "you got this." He shoved him playfully on the shoulder before joining the rest of his friends.

Hiro was just about to walk on the stage, when he turned back to you. "Anything you want to say before I go up?"

You frowned sarcastically at the pun. Frankly, Hiro was never good at them.

You reached up on your toes and gave him a long, warm kiss. You loved it when he held you like this, as if speech wasn't a necessity of life in these moments. He wrapped his arms around your waist as you ran your fingers through his messy, black hair. A million words were traveling through your heart to Hiro's as the two of you just stood there in the kiss. You felt as if this would be the last time you would get to kiss him before all his fan girls would overthrow you after the showcase.

You slowly pulled away from his lips, keeping your hands around his neck. I love you, Hiro, you signed, now get out there and beat the other contestants' butts!

Hiro laughed, and you hugged him one more time. He ruffled your hair before walking onto the stage.

You hurried to join the rest of the nerd gang, greeted first by Tadashi.

"Seems like he took a good luck charm with him onto the stage, huh?" he said, cocking his head towards you. You smirked and punched his side. Oww... your fingers cracked and throbbed at the impact with his titanium-like muscles.

Just then, your attention came back to the stage, when Hiro nervously cleared his throat. You held your breath, waiting for the next series of events to unfold - hopefully in a successful manner.

Just breathe, Hiro, just breathe.