Chapter 3

People wandered around the showcase, viewing all of the machines and contraptions, while you and the group congratulated Hiro. He had a shy smile on his face, his cheeks a hint of pink. You could hardly hear what he was mumbling over Honey Lemon and Fred being so loud.

"Alright!" said Aunt Cass, "Dinner's on me!"

"Yes!" Fred fist-bumped the air. "Nothing's better than free food! Unless it's moldy..."

Hiro held your hand as everyone headed out the door. The cool air gently hit you in the face, cooling down your flushed face. The stars calmly lit the night sky as people exited the building. SFIT balloons were floating weightlessly in the sky, guided by a small breeze. Cass and the others were merrily talking among themselves, heading towards their vehicles.

"Hey, Aunt Cass," said Tadashi, "Hiro and I are going to hang out for a bit. We'll catch up with you later."

Cass sighed. "Ok..." she ran to Hiro and engulfed him in a hug. "I love you!! I love you both!" she exclaimed, before walking away.

You looked at Hiro. I'll go join the others, you signed. Hiro gave you a confused look, not able to catch every motion of your hands. You mouthed the words to him.

"Ok," he smiled and kissed you on the forehead, holding his warm lips there for a few seconds. "Thanks for everything."

You signed a quick No problem, and began to walk away, before he called you back.

"Hey, could you actually do me a favor?" he asked shyly. "Could you get Wasabi and the others to help pack up my microbots? I'll help in a second, I just need some time with Tadashi."

You nodded, turning sharply on your heels to find everyone. A silky warmth was still radiating through your head where Hiro had kissed it. You rubbed it softly and closed your eyes, cherishing every detail of that moment. Who knew? It might be the last time you would ever feel his lips on your skin.

You wandered around for a while, searching for any of your friends, mostly Cass; none of them were in sight, and of course you couldn't call out to them, so all you had to rely on was your sight. You went back into the convention building, walking through the many displays and technology, still not finding any of them. You were frustrated. It's as if they all ran away when Hiro mentioned the word 'favor'.

Pulling your phone out of your pocket, you were about to text Honey Lemon when you hatched an idea. They're microbots, right? So you would be able to pack them away yourself, using the neurotransmitter to guide them back into the recycling bins. Of course, you weren't sure what you had to do in your brain to complete the action of moving them, but it sounded like a fun experiment to try.

You walked around the devices, mentally judging them as you passed them. One of them, a contraption that did nothing more than clap a set of bionic hands, seemed completely useless. However, one that looked like an underwater elliptical, seemed useful, in case you started sweating too much in a workout; the thought of being completely doused in cold water made you smile: you marked that off on your list of things to do before going to bed.