Chapter 16

"And then she turns up in a man's coat with the half naked owner in tow," Cecilia told her story vividly while her cousin looked on with exasperation.

"Stop being obnoxious, Cecilia. You know nothing of that sort happened. Mr. Rossi only offered me his coat because I was cold and he was hardly naked," Delilah interjected, minding her voice in the Ballroom. Delilah and her cousin along with their friends were tucked away in a corner but it was still dim-witted to blurt out private information without the fear of it spreading like wildfire.

"He was in a vest and a half open shirt; in polite society that constitutes as undressed if not naked," Cecilia protested.

"He had been dueling," Delilah gritted her teeth after having to repeat important facts again and again.

"For your hand," Isabella interrupted wistfully.

"No, they were about to have sparring session when they found me and thought it polite to ask for my company."

"And the opportunity to bask half naked in front of you," Prudence snickered in her glove.

"I don't know how you can be so unsocial and still develop such important contacts," Mary asked looking hopeful that her friend would reveal her deepest darkest secrets but there was nothing to disclose.

"Lady Delilah," A man's voice interrupted whatever reply that was on the tip of Delilah's mouth. Her mouth stilled mid word. The rest of the girls giggled without restraint.

"Mr. Rossi, How nice it is to see you tonight," Delilah spoke after she cleared her throat.

"Why do you seem so surprised? You knew I would collect my prize sooner or later," He spoke teasingly.

"I hardly thought that comment was binding on me since I never verbally agreed to it," Delilah stated with a frown.

"You sat through our fight without a verbal disagreement either. That constitutes as a yes."

"But I do not dance," Delilah pleaded.

"Will you go back on your promise?" Mr. Rossi scolded though the smile on his face washed over her warmly.

"That wouldn't be right," Delilah answered with a sigh. The man took this as a yes and held his arm out for her which she reluctantly took after getting encouraging looks from her circle of friends. He then walked her towards the edge of the dancing floor where all the couples were waiting for the next dance to begin.

Mr. Rossi was clearly the best dancer on the floor and he knew exactly how to position his body to let his partner be revealed in the best light. Delilah knew that the lightness of her step had nothing to do with her own prowess. They talked and danced and to her surprise Delilah truly enjoyed this engagement. As he bowed her off after the end of the dance Delilah caught an elderly woman staring at her uncouthly.

"You can try all you want, placing yourself with other men but we know what broth you're cooking," A lady with a purple cape, standing next to her, commented causally.

"I don't gather what you mean," Delilah stammered, quite alarmed at the rudeness.

"I suppose what they're saying about you is right," The same elderly lady hissed meanly, "Trying your luck again, Dearie?"

"That is as far away from the truth as possible," Delilah replied back trying to suppress the urge to defend herself more vigorously. This was not the time and place to fall apart even in anger.

"Then what about the rumours? Lady Penelope did not dream up the courtyard incident. The Crown Prince actually arrived in the courtyard carrying you, on a horse," Another Lady piped.