2. Høw Dëęp Ïš Ÿôūr Łõvė?

© Copyright 2015 - 2016 by Jocylin Anthony. All rights reserved

Kelsi and I arrive at the gym and we grab our bags out of the back seat.

Walking into the locker room, we realize it's a lot more girls trying out than the year before, which was our freshman year.

Luckily, since we were on the JV cheer squad last year, even if these girls are wayy better than us, there's a 80% chance that's we'll make it on the team regardless.

But, that's only our very last option.

Since it's our sophomore year in college, we've decided that we're more than ready to handle Varsity.

All year long, Kelsi and I have been working on our routine to tryout with.

Normally, all girls just gather in the middle of the gym and attempt to repeat the steps that the captain and vice captain show them.

But, if you're trying out for Varsity, you must provide your very own routine.

It's all about showing your absolute strengths so that the Varsity captain can accurately place you in a position that will bring out your best potential.

Obviously, I need Kelsi to work on the routine with me since I'm a back spot and she's a flyer.

I rush over to an empty section in the locker room to secure it for me and Kelsi.

I change into a pink pair of soffe shorts, pink and black Nikes, and a black sleeveless Under Armor muscle shirt while Kelsi changes into the same outfit except she's wearing black cheer shoes.

I pull my hair into a low ponytail and take deep breaths to calm myself.

I feel Kelsi grasp my hand and hers is shaking a bit. I doubt either one of us have been this nervous in our lives.

Kelsi looks at me and says, "Are you ready?"

I smile at her attempt to calm me down when she's obviously more nervous than I am and say, " Are YOU ready?"

Kelsi attempts a smile before sighing and running her hand through her blond locks.

"Honestly, I'm scared...What if we don't make it? What if we're not good enough? What if I fuck up because I'm still a little high and-"

I interrupt her hysterics by gripping her shoulders and shaking her.

"Kelsi, we practiced this routine for ages. No way are we gonna fuck up. We know the routine front, back, and damn sideways. We. Got. This!", I say while I smoosh her cheeks together.

"Well, I hope you're right...otherwise I'll be depressed all year.", Kelsi mumbles.

I laugh and clap Kelsi on her back

"That's the spirit! That's how a champion thinks!", I say while ushering Kels out of the locker room.

*•*

Kelsi and I are standing in line, waiting for our name to be called.

The line was really all jumbled because it wasn't first come, first serve, it was in alphabetical order.

Chelsea Amore (a flyer) and her back spot, Jean West, are both juniors and just went in about a minute and a half ago. We're up next since our names are Sabrina Awe and Kelsi Bare.

I bounce on my tiptoes a bit in anticipation of us going before the judges. I can feel my adrenaline beginning to swell in my core.

Sure enough, a messenger pops her head out into the lobby and yells, "You're Up! Sabrina and Kelsi!".