Chapter 8

Hey guys. Slightly depressed currently over friend drama-don't you just hate it when there is an odd number so when pairing up everyone leaves you out? Please tell me in the comments below if you have these issues. Anyway, I am super excited on how many reads this book is getting(for me 30 is alot) Thank you guys heaps. Especially for all the ones who have been fanning, commenting or voting. Please keep it up it means alot for me.

Cheers Alura

Chapter 8

As I was on my run the next morning I thought about what Amber had said. Waving to an elderly woman collecting the newspaper I contemplated how realistic her words had been. Was it true that Jack would be interested in dating me? He is just so casual and laid back. He could have pick any of the girls in the whole school and they would go out with him. He wouldn't waste time on me. We will just continue to be friends. For eternity....unless Amber was right about the fact that I might lose him. With a hot girlfriend, who would need me?

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I put on more speed and soon a sharp knife was digging into my ribcage. The pain helped me focus and I realised I had accidentally turned onto Jack's street. I stopped immediately. What if he saw me here? He would think I was stalking him. Panicking, I turned and raced back the way I had come, passing the elderly lady in a blur. I know she was staring at me like I was some crazy lost runner who had seen a ghost or something.  That is actually a very good description of me right now.

I returned home with sweat dripping off me and my heart playing the drums within my heaving chest. Forcing myself to walk up my driveway, I stopped to do several stretches to stop my legs from aching tomorrow. TOMORROW! By then I would have been to Grace's party already and I will know whether or not Jack will still be talking to me or not. Amber said she would help me, but personally I am afraid she will make things worse. Maybe I should just enjoy the night and ignore my heart?

As I entered my bedroom, I saw my beautiful dress layed out on my chair beside the window. I had a pair of silver ballet flats that had worked just perfectly, too my delight. I paused to touch the soft fabric before entering the shower and setting it relatively cold.

It took half an hour to get ready this morning, but thanks to my shortened run I still was leaving the house early. That meant I could take my time to walk to school. The streets were pretty deserted because of the cold wind, but I was snug within my jacket.

I arrived at school five minutes before the bell so I sought out Amber. She was with a group of her friends, and I thought about leaving, but she waved me over.

"Hey Kim, you know Susannah,  Ally and Meg right?" Amber introduced me as I walked over. I nodded though I had only seen them from a distance. Meg, small brunette and always in a good mood was flashing me one of her cheesy grins. "Hi Kim, you looking forward to the party tonight?" she asked in a sweet voice that  got on my nerves slightly. "Yeah I am, are you all going?" I asked surveying the group. Susannah shook her head. "Ally and I are going to watch the nutcracker by that national dance group tonight" she explained and I nodded. I heard they are very good, though no one can match my amazing moves of course. When I hear my jam, nothing can stop me. I am looking forward to wowing everyone tonight.

"That is a shame" I smiled sincerely as the bell rang. Trooping into class with the others, I chose a seat at the back so I can daydream about tonight. I can see myself in my pretty dress slow dancing with Jack. The music will stop he will lean forward and....

"Hey Kim. Excited for tonight?" I must have jumped a metre high in the air when Jack sat down beside me. Blushing bright red I thanked the Karate gods that Jack could not mind read. "Yeah, it should be cool" I agreed. "My mum said she will drive us so if I could pick you up at quarter to?" Jack asked and I nodded. "Will she be taking me home afterwards as well?" I asked, wondering if I should walk home. It might be late and I don't want to keep my parents up. I am used to moving through my darkened neighbourhood from all my morning runs so I don't mind.

"No we will drop you off. As my official buddy for the evening I should probably make sure you don't get hit by a train on the way home" As I laughed along with his joke, my heart sank inside. Buddy for the evening. Was that really all he thought we were going as?