Bittersweet

When I woke up on a saturday morning, I was confused at the image in my head. It looked like the control room of the TARDIS, only, the control panel in the center was a bit smaller, and the cylinder of glass had a more blue-ish tinge to it. Also, the interior of it looked, almost newer, the walls where a light gray, and the floor was cream-colored. I got really confused, was this another TARDIS? My confusion only deepened when the TARDIS led me down a series of twisting hallways to a large room, with a gray, cone-shaped, thing in the center, with double doors. But when the doors opened, and I saw what was inside, my heart practically did a flip. It was the TARDIS from the image in my mind, it was a TARDIS! Smiling, I laid my hands on the control panel, and the TARDIS told me, much to my delight, that this was technically a TARDIS, but it was an emergency escape pod for the real TARDIS. It functioned exactly like the TARDIS,  except for a few drawbacks. It was considerably smaller, just the control room, and about seven other rooms. I was so happy that I didn't even care that it was smaller, I had my own TARDIS! I was gonna see the stars, meet aliens, save planets! But a few words snapped me out of my happy daze, and immediately my heart sunk. The TARDIS had just told me that this escape pod had no psychic ability, it was just a machine, so the TARDIS couldn't accompany me on my journeys. But what if I messed up? What if, in the heat of the moment, I accidentally flew my TARDIS into a volcano or something!? And my biggest concern of all, what would I do without my closest, and only, friend by my side? I had wanted to travel the galaxies from the first moment I understood what the TARDIS was, but now, the moment just seemed bittersweet. And with a shock, I realized that the TARDIS had been planning this all along. All the lessons, the training, the simulations, were so I could fly this TARDIS, and live my dream. The thought of that made me smile just a little bit, for the TARDIS really was a true friend. And that was exactly why I couldn't leave it! How could I leave behind my best friend just to go travel? But my concerns were somewhat put to ease when the TARDIS told me that whenever I crossed paths with it, it would reach out to me. It told me that I had a duty to do, mysteries to solve, people to save. With these words, I made the painful decision to leave the TARDIS to travel. I was about to close the doors of my TARDIS, to shut off the connection once and for all, when I remembered something. I touched the cool metal at my neck, my TARDIS key. I was about to take it off when the TARDIS told me to keep it, for a reminder. And it also told me, as one last parting thought, to visit first these places, and it told me coordinates and a date and time. With that, the doors closed, and I felt the familiar presence in my mind slowly fade away, until there was just an empty space. And as I stood at the control panel, pulling lever and pressing buttons, a single tear rolled down my cheek.