Chapter 27

Sunday night could not come fast enough. Selling cupcakes was exhausting. The throngs of spring tourists (not as large as the summer throngs to come, mind you) had definitely found the Cake Diva and weren't letting them drive away without iced clouds of deliciousness. Belinda was positive she recognized a few faces from the day before, so they were doing something right. They had trouble keeping up with the demand, which was thrilling and nauseating. Bennett assured her it would get easier once they got their system down, and he offered some tips based on observation.

She wasn't sure what was up with him, but he hung around most of the afternoon, even handing out samples. She figured he must be behind on work with everything going on, but he acted like he had nothing better to do.

By the time they shut down early so Belinda could get ready for Victoria's (well, her music school's) recital, Belinda and Mia were leaning on each other physically for support. It was a good thing they had a week to recoup. But they were getting some awesome feedback already and that was a much-needed boost to keep Belinda upright.

If she had had time for a nap, she would have taken one. As it stood, she just had time to shower and change into her halter dress with the full skirt and reapply her makeup. Bennett had texted to inform her that the flash drive plan was on the move, but she was in the dark on the details other than that. She would just have to go and see what transpired.

And keep her eyes on Kori.

Belinda found a parking spot and clip-clopped her way with other onlookers into the auditorium. She wasn't sure when she went to one of Victoria's recitals last. It had been a few years. Every seat was full, and Victoria claimed they partially owed Belinda for that. She'd scooped up tickets for the designers to give them something to do. But it was also the closing recital for the school year, though the more serious students continued their lessons year-round. Extended family members, like Aidan Sykes, showed up to see their relatives perform. Some students wouldn't return; they were en route to one of the large prestigious music schools or conservatories.

They were in their old private high school's auditorium, which took Belinda back quite a few years. Victoria had planned to be a concert pianist back in the day, performing on that stage numerous times. But she changed her mind after meeting and falling in love with Dan in college. Now she was happy to focus on her students.

Aidan waved hesitantly from a few rows down. Belinda waved back equally thrilled, wondering what the poor guy must be thinking with his mother apparently on a plane to Brazil or wherever you went after embezzling from a fundraiser. Did the father fill him in on the family secret? Or was his mama just mysteriously MIA for her Amazing Gene granddaughter's big solo?

She also wondered if Aidan could remember who she was since the pool party.

Belinda didn't see Mr. Sykes yet at all, but he might not show between his wife's vanishing act and his distaste for anything pleasant.

"He seems happy to see you." Kori smirked. Belinda ignored that and scoped out the rest of the audience once Aidan turned his attention to someone else. "Looking for your stud?" Kori's head swiveled in the other direction.

Belinda shrugged. Now that she knew Kori wrote the note that had almost ended her relationship with Bennett, Belinda had a hard time even looking at her. She had no idea why Kori had done that, and she had to be patient for the moment. She was looking for their bait, of course, but couldn't see him. Belinda knew Bennett and Jonas were standing by somewhere.

Kori's eyes locked on someone and she hurried to get out of her seat. "Be right back. I see someone I want to talk to." Belinda watched her climb her way out into the aisle. She couldn't see Sawyer, but she didn't waste time and followed once Kori was a way down the main aisle.