Chapter 12

You can buy this book and all the books in The Belinda & Bennett Mysteries at Amazon, iBooks, B&N, Kobo, and Smashwords. 

"Maybe the Sykes do have financial troubles," Victoria said. After fleeing the house when Mr. Sykes returned, they finally got gelatos, and started walking toward the police station a few blocks away so Belinda could pick up her permits for the cupcake truck.

They'd thrown ideas around about the notebook hidden in the back of the liquor cabinet, but it was hard not to assume it was something illegal.

Or maybe one of them was simply hiding things from the other. Could have something to do with the divorce.

"You mean we can justify Mr. Sykes rude behavior?" Belinda said. "How annoying."

Victoria chuckled. "I don't think his behavior is excusable regardless, but it could be the real reason they're getting divorced. Maybe they disagree about the money. It's a common marital problem."

"That would be easier to swallow than Mr. Sykes having an affair. Of course, a notebook hidden in the back of the liquor cabinet screams weird." Belinda diverted from the path to avoid a tree. "Something else screams weird too. Brooke." She ran through the non-Bennett related events of the previous evening. (Victoria had already heard all about the Bennett portion of that night.)

"So you think she was waiting for the mystery phone number person?"

"It would make the most sense. I think he or she was late. At least, according to the way she clung to her cell. I've got Finnegan on the number part, so we'll see what surfaces." Belinda examined the Belgian chocolate gelato settled in the center of a neon green cup shaped like a blooming flower. "So much for my bridesmaid gown." She stuffed the mini spatula-like spoon into her mouth.

Victoria waved it off. "It's one gelato. You'll be fine."

"I know. I just feel pressured for some reason. And I tested all those cupcakes last month."

"It's just your family. You'll get over it." Victoria swallowed a glob of espresso gelato.

Belinda sucked on her spoon. "You know, your wedding was the last time I had to deal with this nonsense."

Victoria raised her eyebrows. "Oh, really?" She laughed. "That was a million years ago. Or, five."

"It was definitely a million."

Victoria shoved her. Belinda laughed as she wavered off balance on her wedges and caught herself on one foot on the pavement. She hopped back onto the sidewalk as a black SUV rolled toward them down the one-way street. Her heartbeat picked up when the truck slowed down, the passenger's side window sliding down with it. Victoria and Belinda exchanged glances, realizing that this wasn't just any old black SUV. It was Bennett's black SUV. Belinda steeled her mind for what was coming and smiled, taking a step closer on the sidewalk as he pulled over.

Bennett turned his head, aviator sunglasses hiding his eyes. Belinda's heart fluttered. What was it about a good pair of sunglasses on an attractive man? It was a simple enough accessory, but it could take the girl next door to diva status, or elevate a man like Bennett Tate to the role of heartthrob.

"Belinda," Bennett said coolly. "Mrs. Hart."

Formality. Not. Good.

Belinda realized she needed to say something in return and hoped that her voice didn't give her away. "Are you out gallivanting or working?" She tried to sound upbeat, but not too upbeat, and avoid mimicking his detachment. They obviously weren't going to discuss their issues on the side of the road with Victoria standing there, but she most certainly hoped she could encourage him to do so at some point.