Chapter 14

*Briella's POV*

"Hey, wanna go to Taco Bell with me?" Ashton asked a few nights later. It was Saturday, about 7pm.

I smiled, glad he asked. "Sure." I put on my Converse and a sweatshirt-it was kind of cold outside-and then we were ready to go.

"Sorry we haven't hung out in awhile," Ashton said as we got in his car, Shakira.

"That's okay," I assured him. But to tell you the truth, I had really missed spending time with him. Lately it seemed like one of us was always busy. It was nice to just get away and eat some tacos.

"What's new?"

"Well, Taylor and I are friends again." He knew about the fight, but I guess I'd forgotten to tell him we'd made up.

"That's good."

"Yeah. How bout you?"

"Oh, ya know. The usual. Baseball practice, chasing after Liv...Wait, did I just say that out loud?" His face turned bright red.

"Omg!" I exclaimed. "Did you just say 'chasing after Liv'?"

"I may or may not have said that..." he replied uneasily, shrinking down in his seat.

"Eeeep!" I squealed. This was unbelievable! I just had to tell Taylor! I quickly whipped out my phone to text her.

"Wait!" Ashton stopped me. "Please don't tell Taylor! I don't want anyone to know."

It was cute how embarrassed he was about this. But, reluctantly, I put my phone away. "Fine, fine. So how long have you liked her?"

"Forever, I guess."

"Ha! I knew it! This is so exciting. Are you sure I can't tell Taylor?" I have him my pleading puppy-dog eyes.

"Um, no. No, you can't. Because Taylor is Liv's sister, and she'd definitely tell her."

"Ugh. You're impossible," I groaned.

"Sorry. My love life, my rules."

"No, see, 'love life' would imply that you're dating-which you are not."

"Okay, fine, whatever. How bout we call it my personal life?"

"Sounds good."

"Then you won't tell Taylor?" He raised his eyebrows quizzically.

"I won't. Cross my heart." I made an X across my chest for emphasis.

Ashton laughed at that. "Thanks. So, now that you've got the 411 on me...do you like anyone?"

"Um..." I shrunk in my seat, sheepishly. So maybe Ashton wasn't the only one with a secret.

Over the past few weeks, I had developed feelings for Nick. Not that it mattered. I didn't even know where he lived. But I definitely liked him. Which sucked, because I would probably never meet him.

Nevertheless, I told my brother about him. "We started talking on Wattpad."

"Aha! I knew there was a reason you were always on that silly old app!"

"It's not silly, thank you, and he's not the only reason I go on, either."

"Oh, really? Humor me."

I wondered if I should tell him. I'd never shared my stories with anyone in my family before. Taylor didn't even know about them. But finally, I decided to tell Ashton.

"I write books."

He looked taken aback. "Seriously?"

"Yeah." My heart slowed to a normal pace and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I found myself telling him all about The Neighbors, and all my other stories too.

"Well, what do ya know? My very own sister is the next Stephen King."

"I wouldn't go that far..."

"Come on, I bet your books are great."

"Thanks. You know, I've never told anyone about this."

"Really? Well then I'm honored."

I laughed, feeling the awkwardness of the moment. We usually didn't say things like this.

After dinner, we drove around the city with no real destination in mind. We just rode through town, singing along to the radio.

There was something special about that night. I don't know what. It was like a lot of the other nights Ashton and I spent together. But something about that night made it seem extra special.

- - -

*Nick's POV*

On Sunday, as I was lying in bed, I got a message from Briella. Smiling, I opened Wattpad to check it.

Good morning, it said.

I quickly replied: Morning 😀.

I was just wondering...where do you live?

The question took me by surprise. But nonetheless, I answered it truthfully.

Missouri. You?

Same!

Really? What school do you go to?

Bridgehampton.

I stared at my phone, speechless. Bridgehampton was where I went to school! Could it really be that we'd been this close to each other without ever knowing it?

I replied: No way. That's where I go! What grade are you in?

9th.

Me too. Wait...do you have Mrs. Blanchard for math?

....Yes.

Oh my gosh. YOU'RE the Briella in my class?!

Now that I think about it, there is a Nick in my math class. What do you look like? Not to sound weird or anything...

Laughing, I typed: Dark hair, blue eyes.

Omg I know who you are! This is so weird!

Ikr!

It was almost too good to be true. Suddenly, I was really looking forward to Monday. Which is weird, because I usually hate Mondays. But this time, there would be a particularly beautiful girl waiting for me in math class.