1. Attacked

Chapter One.

Sometimes I wondered why I was still in this stupid town. I'd noticed that despite being somewhere that held nothing for me, I still couldn't bring myself to leave. Maybe it was because I was afraid of finding something out there worse than what I already had. I guess like everyone else in this world, I was apprehesive of change. Sure, change was good sometimes, but when it came to leaving behind the only thing you knew, the only place, the only people you knew, it was arduous, even when you couldn't stand most of those factors. If it's what you know, what you're brought up into, then it's where you feel most comfortable.
One day I'd find the courage to do it, even if I had to force myself. I wanted better, I needed better, and by now, I think I most definitely deserved better.

It was about ten at night as my best friend and I worked another graveyard shift at the local diner. I'd been there about a year and that didn't seem to get any better either. Our wage was pretty bad, the building was falling apart, business was somewhat slow and our boss was the biggest moron humanly possible.

"Hope Kenai is having more fun than us" My best friend Clora mumbled, breaking me from my thoughts of myself on a sunny beach somewhere along the coast as the sand crunched beneath my bare toes.

"He's probably at the mall buying more shoes, I swear the boy has a bigger obsession than girls with style" I flatly spoke, my head leaned on my hands

"I think that's a good thing, girls prefer a guy with style" She mused

"Not better than her own, imagine being out-done by your boyfriend?" I smiled as she thought about it and screwed her face up with a short shake of her head.
"I can't think of another day as boring as this one, honestly" I sighed, leaning on the bench at the deserted diner
"I agree. But I seem to rather prefer it this way" Clora replied, as she danced around the empty diner to the pop music being played on the cheap speakers on the red rusted walls.
I giggled in amusement, sighing as I watched her use a broom as a microphone head.
Most teens our age were at home studying, or out at the movies with their friends, but of course, not us.
I watched Clora stop dancing as the Lady Gaga song ended. She looked alluring even in her work uniform, which consisted of long skin tight black leggings, and tight red bloused collared shirt, lightly topped off with a mandatory black waist apron. I wore the same, but never pulled it off quite as well as she did.
"Come to think of it, I've changed my mind" Clora began as she walked towards me, leaning herself opposite me on the bench
"What do you mean?" I asked her
"You know. The 'rather preferring the no people this way' comment" She smiled, resting her head on her hand. "It is really boring here" She continued.

I gave her a small smile and stood up straight, stretching my back out. "If nobody comes in within the next 10 minutes, I'm leaving" I stated as I untied my apron from my waist and threw it into the small cupboard nearby.

"Me too" She smiled protestingly as she slammed her apron in with mine, winking at me as she twirled her auburn hair around her fingers.

Clora was a stunning girl. Always was from as long as I'd known her. Her auburn hair lightly curled and shaped her oval face, complementing her light blue eyes. My hair was a deeper darker brown, and hung long and dead straight, pulled back into a low ponytail, loose strands falling around my ears. My eyes were a golden brown and matched my olive skin.

"That's it. That's it. I'm leaving!" I spat, slamming my open palmed hand into the bench. I began to storm from the diner that paid me nothing worth what I was enduring.

"Whoa, what happens if Charlie finds out?" Clora panicked - Charlie being our over aggressive boss, stumpy with the resemblance of a hillbilly serial killer, all the man needed were a pair of overalls and an axe.