11. Confessions

"Riley" I began "He told me about you and Anna..." I started, watching his expression closely.
He was serious, seriously angry.
I was sure Riley was going to get his ass beat after this.

"That wasn't his place" He spoke in between gritted teeth

"I was the one who pushed him for information, that's why I was teasing at him" I quickly defended, hoping to get Riley out of trouble "Besides he only told me that you were together and fought, and that's how she got her scars and how she came about to live here" I continued rambling

"Then how does Darius come into it?" He asked, crunching my stomach into knots

"I was talking to Anna. She was very forthcoming  with..."

"What?" He edged, fearful she'd revealed his deepest darkest secrets to me

"Just, history" I shrugged becoming angry at his push for information "Like you said, it's not my place to say. Maybe you should speak to her directly about the truth" I answered, pulling my hands free from his, shoving them under the quilt to regain warmth stolen from Duke's coldness.

"What truth?" His voice was desperate as he sat close to me, leaning his head in close

"Ask her yourself" I raised my voice staring at him angrily "If she can tell me about her love triangle, she can tell you about it herself" I blurted out, letting my anger get the best of me.

He was taken back for a moment but easily kept his composure and his eyes trained on me.

"You have no idea what you're talking about" He was now mad at me as he spoke through his teeth, glaring.
I could understand the fear that Anna had when he'd snapped and attacked her.

"Fine, then leave me be" I spat, glaring straight back.
He wouldn't attack me. Not after everything he'd promised to protect me from, right?

Before I knew it he had edged his face closer, sending my upright body stiff against the bed head while his nose touched mine. I felt my body run cold. My heart beat erratically in my chest in fear of what might happen.

"Tell me Rosie" He demanded again, this time whispering.
Like usual, his mood swings were agitating and bothersome "Tell me what she said" He tried

I felt my body shake, my palms sweat, a lump forming in my throat as I watched him intently before answering

"I know Darius is your brother. Him and Anna, they-" I paused, unsure if I should continue
"They were seeing each other behind your back" I admitted softly, fearing he'd snap and actually take his anger out on me.
His eyes immediately grew wild, anger flashed through them as they turned a deep shade of black. His lips twitched, I felt truly afraid.

Through the silence of the dark night, a distinct clicking noise came from Duke's mouth as he violently backed away from me. He stood at the foot of the bed, I could see the fury radiating from him.

"You're lying" He whispered which caused me to gasp loudly at the sight of two sharp teeth protruding from his mouth.

I was aware I was shaking, terrified of what to do or say next.
"I'm, I'm, not" I bravely stuttered, pulling my knee's up close to my chest

I heard the same click noise shortly follow before he finally looked up at me.
His eyes were still the same charcoal black, empty and hollow.
Slowly, he moved toward me, leaning forward once he was in arms reach. Gently, he brushed his fingers along my jaw line causing me to flinch.

"I'm sorry" He whispered, vanishing from the room, leaving me in a crumpled and horrified.

I sobbed into my knees for a minute or two, until the creak of my door sounded again.
Within an instant, Riley was at my side, he held a hand on my hair, the other rubbing soothing circles around my back. I relaxed into him as I leaned against his chest, gripping at his shirt. He shushed me quietly, stroking my hair as silent tears escaped freely.