Chapter 0

(Name) opened her eyes. She sat up slowly and looked around her. She sat on the cold soil, and she was surrounded by ruins of what seemed like wooden houses. She then remembered. Her village was attacked by bandits and not getting much from the poor village, the bandits set fire to the houses just for the fun of it. The last thing she could remember was bumping into one of the bandits as she ran, frantically looking for her friend. Most people would look for their family, but (Name) had none, so to her, his family was hers.

After sitting there in a daze for quite some time, (Name) collected her thoughts and pushed herself up. Suddenly, she heard a faint voice calling in her direction. Facing the direction of the voice, she saw a blonde man with long bangs and dirty robes running towards her. Waving, he tripped and fell flat on his face halfway through. (Name) waited as the man picked himself up and continued advancing towards her. She was too drained to move towards him.

"Are you the only one left here?" The blonde asked the 8-year-old. She nodded.

"Would you like to come with me then?" (Name) could see his beautiful violet eyes, and it gave her a look that made her feel like it would be okay to trust him. She nodded again. The man smiled, with flowers seemingly appearing above his head. Introducing himself as Ik-Soo, he took (Name)'s hands and led her out of the abandoned village.

After walking for some time, the two of them arrived at an old straw hut, and was greeted by a strawberry blonde boy who looked like a girl.

"Yoon! Meet (Name)! She's joining us, isn't that great?" Ik-Soo said in his happy-go-lucky voice.

Yoon looked at (Name) and she wore a little saddened expression when she heard him murmur "Even though we can hardly get by with just ourselves...". She looked at Ik-Soo and he gave her a wide smile, reassuring her that it was okay for her to stay.

---

(Name) recovered quickly from the loss of her village, and she was soon helping Yoon out. Ik-Soo on the other hand, hardly did anything and usually went to the nearby waterfall to pray. (Name) learnt that he was actually a priest that could hear the voice of God, and she wondered if that had anything to do with him saving her. On the other hand, Yoon was the one who did the chores and get food through trading handmade straw sandals. Ik-Soo was the one who taught him how to make them, but his was so horrible nobody wanted them, while Yoon's was made so nicely that it was a great help with getting food on the table. (Name) tried making them too, but hers was not as clean as Yoon's, and of course not as horrible as Ik-Soo's.

(Name) was happy with her new life. Ik-Soo and Yoon were both so kind to her. However, she could not forget what happened the day her village was raided. She would have nightmares about it and wake up in the middle of the night. Yoon noticed this and when she woke up suddenly, he would wrap his arms around her, comforting her back to sleep.

Over time, Yoon became like an elder brother to (Name), even though they were the same age. He would try to make her life as comfortable as possible and would protect her from attacks by wild animals. This resulted in Yoon being injured and their roles would reverse, with (Name) taking care of Yoon's wounds this time. As such, she became quite knowledgeable in medicine, although Yoon still bested her.

(Name) wanted to be of help to Yoon and Ik-Soo as much as possible, so in the early morning when they were asleep, she would go into the woods, looking for edible plants and fruits so as to reduce at least one of Yoon's daily tasks. It was also one of the early mornings when (Name) was out in the forest that she encountered a wild boar. It looked like it wanted her for breakfast and suddenly started charging towards her. Scared, (Name) froze, not knowing what to do. Out of the blue, an arrow was shot, killing the boar in an instant. The sudden arrow shocked (Name), and she fell backwards onto the floor into a sitting position, with her hands on the floor behind her supporting her. She looked up to find a fierce-looking man, the one who shot the arrow.

"Um, thank you very much for helping me..."(Name) hurriedly picked herself up and bowed to the man. His clothing made (Name) think that he was some high ranking official, but that wasn't the reason she was bowing. She had been thought that it was only basic courtesy to thank someone properly.

"You seem to be around Tae-Jun's age. What's a brat like you doing in the woods alone?" The man asked (Name).

"I was looking for food..."

"And when you found one it almost killed you."

"I was only looking for plants! In fact I don't even know how to hunt..." Suddenly, (Name) had a crazy idea. "Say, you're very good at the bow right?"

"Relatively." The man folded his arms. "Why?"

"Please teach me how to use a bow! Or any form of weaponry that can be used to hunt and fend off attackers! Please!" (Name) looked at him with pleading eyes. Unable to reject her, the man brought (Name) back to where he lived, which was the Fire Tribe's castle.

(Name) learnt that he was Kan Kyo-Ga, the first son of the Fire General, and that he also had a younger brother named Kan Tae-Jun. She often saw the kid around her age playing around the place, but was too shy to approach her. However, (Name) could feel that he was watching her most of the time.

Everyday, (Name) would wake up early to train with Kyo-Ga, and leave before lunch. She was a natural at weaponry and soon, she was able to master the basics of the bow and dagger. Her master was proud of her, and said that if she trained enough, he would actually be willing to accept her as his aide, but (Name) declined the offer, saying that she would rather be with Yoon and Ik-Soo. With her new skills in hand, (Name) left and hardly returned to the castle again. On the other hand, Yoon and Ik-Soo were astounded by (Name)'s new abilities, but they were grateful as it brought meat onto the table.

---

-Time Skip to 7 years later- [Both (Name) and Yoon had turned 15]

(Name) was worried that Yoon was taking so long. He said that he was just going for a walk and grabbing an apple, he left. That was around one hour ago, and he was still not back yet.

Just then, she heard slow footsteps and she rushed out of the house. Yoon was back, but this time, he was carrying -- or at least trying his best to -- two bodies. The black-haired man was in a horrible state and the red-haired woman had scratches on her, and her hair was a mess.

(Name) immediately rushed out to help Yoon carry the girl into the hut, and laid them onto two straw beds. After that, Yoon and (Name) tended to the wounds of the duo, who remained unconscious throughout.