Chapter 5

Without a second thought, (Name) rushed in to pry Yoon off Ik-Soo. "Yoon what are y-"

"You're telling us to go with them?!" Yoon raised his voice.

"You and (Name) need to leave this place, and aid the princess and the others." Ik-Soo, as usual, was calm, answering in his soft voice.

"Why us?! This isn't a joke!"

"You two are not just some good kids that should stay in a place like this. Go out and see the world."

"Ik-Soo..."

"It doesn't matter to me whether you're here or not."

(Name) could feel ominous aura leaking out from Yoon as Ik-Soo left them with his last line. When Ik-Soo was out of sight, Yoon squatted down and hugged his legs. "Dammit"

(Name) bent down and wrapped her arms around Yoon's neck from the back, Ik-Soo's words replaying in her head. Go out and see the world...

"Are you going to go?" (Name) let go of her brother and squatted in front of him, in the same position he was in.

"I don't know. I don't want to leave this place, or Ik-Soo. That idiot probably can't even take care of himself. Who's gonna clean the house, cook his meals, wash his clothes? Who's gonna make sure he eats properly? Who's gonna make sure he doesn't get cheated by conman? Or attacked by bandits? Who's gonna keep him company?" As he rambled on, Yoon's voice started becoming hoarse, and a shine could be seen in his eyes, the liquid threatening to flow down any minute.

"I'll follow you whatever decision you make, Yoon." She smiled and hugged him again before heading for the woods, leaving Yoon pondering about which path to take.

---

-7 years ago-

The land was barren, the village abandoned. The straw houses were rundown and the streets were filled with enough dust to make someone sneeze with a gust of wind. Half-dead people lay everywhere, and those that still had life in them were targets for thieves, for people fighting to survive. Orphaned with nobody to depend on, Yoon was one of them.

He had eaten tree roots the previous day, and he knew there was no point going to the fields where even insects wouldn't find any food. He had decided. He was going to steal some food. He was almost killed the last time he stole food, but he had to do a better job this time. To him, this was life and death, and he wasn't planning on succumbing to the latter.

Seeing a man walk past, Yoon aimed and threw a stone at him, hitting him on the head and knocking him to the ground. Yoon did a silent cheer and stumbled up to the body, rummaging through his clothes for anything valuable, or at least valuable to the young boy. His head was filled with the thought of money and food, when his hand was suddenly grabbed by another.

"Sorry... I have nothing..." The man mumbled, before earning another whack from Yoon.

"Don't move!" Yoon shouted, pointing a small scythe at the man. "There's a rumour in the village that says lately there's been an outsider with golden beads that wanders around here. That's you right? Hand over those golden beads."

There was a short silence between the two, until tears started flowing down the man's cheeks.

"C-crying is useless!"

"I'm sorry... I gave a golden bead to another child earlier. That was the last one."

Hearing that, a gloomy mood enveloped Yoon.

"But if I find something next time, I'll come to your house and give it to you, okay?" The man assured, as a trail of blood formed from his forehead. He wiped it off immediately.

"It's not a good idea for you to be absent-minded. In this place, it's eat or be eaten!"

"I'm okay. It doesn't hurt. Don't worry."

"It's not that I'm worrying about you. I just tried to kill you!"

"Well then, I'll be on my way." The man bowed and stumbled off.

"Are you listening to what I'm telling you!" Yoon sweat-dropped as he saw the man swaying from side to side as he walked.

"Hold on!" He exclaimed. "We're not done talking about those golden beads yet! So stay at my place today!"

Hearing the words 'stay at my place' the man immediately returned to Yoon's side. Rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment, he said, "Oh I'm glad. I was actually going to sleep outdoors tonight. My name is Ik-Soo."