Chapter 12

"Hey... dude. I have something to tell you. But you can't tell Mum or Dad cuz I'm gonna tell them after you. Okay?"

"Jesus christ, what'd you do this time?"

"Shut up, Adrian. It isn't bad. I guess."

"Ugh. Okay spit it out."

"First of all, I know you're sixteen now but you could act a little less like a sixteen-year old. It's fucking annoying. Second of all, I..." I paused for a good second, "I broke up with Rachel."

"Okay? I don't care. Your relationships aren't my business anyway."

"Well, ya see, that isn't everything."

"Alright....?"

"I'm... I... I don't know if I'm exactly 'straight' anymore."

"Woah, wait, what? Did I hear you correctly?"

I could hear a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "Listen here you little shit, I'm serious. I am deadly serious. I'm fucking questioning my sexuality and I'm scared as hell. I met this guy and I really don't think I like him just as a friend and I needed to get that off my chest. Not to mention, you're my little brother. I figured you should know... as well as the parents. But I haven't gotten around to that yet. They had this whole plan of how my life would go. They probably have one for you too. That's just how Mum and Dad are."

"Oh shit, Dan. I don't know if I should feel bad for you or really what to say. I mean, you're twenty-four years old. It's not like it's me calling you and saying that. This is... sort-of surprising."

"Sort-of? Why sort-of?"

"I mean, people can change. Or... find new things out about themselves as they get older. I never assumed you liked guys, but I also remember hearing you say you were bi-sexual to someone over the phone in the other room when I was like seven. I never heard it from you again so I just forgot about it. I guess I didn't know nine years later you would be calling me at twenty-four and saying you like a guy. Ya know?"

"When did you get so considerate and wise? You were like, ten the last time I remember. But seriously, how do you think our parents will react?"

"I think Mum will be shocked and then sad that you aren't with Rachel anymore because she wanted you two to get married and all that crap, and then probably in denial. Then if you talk her through it enough she'll be okay with it. But if you mention that you like a guy now too, that'll be another thing for her to take in. She probably won't know what to do. But I hope you can calm her down and I hope she accepts you. As for Dad? Bloody hell, he's a bit of a dick, isn't he? I'm not sure. I would honestly ask Mum to tell him for you if I were you, but you need to give her time to comprehend what you tell her also. I wish our parents were as open as you and I are, but that just isn't the case. I'm sorry, I wish I could help, but you even asked me not to tell them. I think you should do this for yourself, you are an adult."

"Fuck... you're right. I'm terrified of how they'll react. And I will tell them, and I am an adult, but I feel like that makes it worse. They thought I was gonna have a wife and all this shit and I'm a complete failure."

"No you aren't. I know this is sorta stupid coming from a teenager, but you're still really young. You aren't supposed to have everything figured out at twenty-four. I know that you'll succeed in life, Dan. Stop doubting yourself, seriously. It pisses me off. All you do is complain." He laughed.

"Thanks... Wish me luck."

"Luck has been wished. Talk to you later."

"Yeah, Adrian. Talk to you later."