Chapter 1

Hey :) I'm thinking about starting a new book and I was wondering what you guys thought about it.  Do you think I should continue writing it? Haha it feels so good to be writing again! This first chapter is pretty boring but the action picks up later on.  Tell me your opinions!

**************************************************************************************************************

I ran as fast as I could, not paying attention to the sweat dripping off my skin.  My face was flushed with effort, and my breathing was loud and strained.  I was so close, but I could see her gaining on me out of the corner of my eye.  With one last burst of energy I pulled ahead and crossed the finish line, panting with exhausion. 

I heard a whistle blow and the sound of clapping.  I looked up and saw my track coach, Mrs. Remsey, jogging towards me with a satisfied smirk on her face.  "Didn't think you still had it in you, Adrienne.  Two weeks out with a sprained ankle, and you still pull through.  Guess I don't give you enough credit."

I gave a small smile, too tired to respond.  I felt someone lightly slap my arm, and I turned to see my friend Sarah glaring playfully at me.  Her breathing was a little heavy, but she was nowhere near as worn out as me.

"Way to make me feel like a turtle, Adrienne.  No practice for two weeks, and you still somehow beat me?  I really need to step it up a notch if I want to kick your butt." She joked, and I felt a genuine smile spread across my face.

"In your dreams."  I reply, as we head off to the locker rooms to change.  I always felt so much better after running, like a weight had been taken off my shoulders.  My day had not gone very well so far.  Mom's recent boyfriend had dumped her the night before, and she had taken her anger out on me and my younger brother Jamie.

It was times like this that made me really miss Jackson.  Some kids complained about their older brothers, but I had adored mine.  He was six years older than me, but he'd treated me like an equal.  I never found out exactly what happened to Jackson, only that when I was ten he started hanging around some bad people.  One thing led to another, and then one day he was taken away from us in a police car.

My mom had never told me what he did, and I never asked.  It felt like part of my heart had left the day Jackson did.  Mom turned bitter and started dating every guy with a pulse to fill the gap that my brother had left behind.  Whenever Mom was in one of her moods, I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like if Jackson had stayed.

Sarah snapped a finger in front of my face, pulling me out of my thoughts.  Smiling sheepishly at her, I asked, "Can you repeat that?"

Rolling her eyes, Sarah replied, "I asked what you thought about the Geometry test."

Just like that, all thoughts of Jackson left my head as I began the long walk home.

When I walked into the house, my mom wasn't anywhere in sight.  I felt a guilty sense of relief.  I hear light footsteps coming from the kitchen, and suddenly I see Jamie barreling towards me, a goofy smile on his face.

"Adrienneeeeeeee!" He cries, stretching the word out.  I chuckle and ruffle his blonde hair.  Although he's my half-brother, me and Jamie look nothing alike.  He has straight blonde hair and green eyes, while I have blue eyes and dark, curly hair.

The ecstatic look on his face goes away, and is replaced by a worried expression.  "Mommy's mad again, Reeree."  He whispers, using his nickname for me.  I frown slightly.  Jamie was only four, he shouldn't have to deal with my mom's drama.

"She's just in a bad mood right now Jamie.  It's not your fault." 

Jamie nodded, but still looked doubtful.  Changing the subject, I whispered, "How about you and me go get some ice cream."  Instantly Jamie's face brightened and he nodded enthusiastically.  I laughed, and together we walked towards the kitchen.

The next morning at school was dull.  Rain was pounding outside, and the sound echoed through the classrooms.  The teachers droned on about various subjects, and I dutifully took notes.  The usual rumors were flying around as usual.  The only new one was that there was apparently some huge drug bust going on.  Knowing some of the people that went to my school, it wouldn't surprise me.

I was headed to lunch when I felt someone slam into me.  Caught off guard, I tumbled to the ground and my backpack slid across the floor.  Grumbling slightly, I stood up and rubbed my elbow, narrowing my eyes at the culprit.

It was some guy I hadn't seen before.  He had long, greasy red hair that was slicked back in a way that emphasized the abnormal shape of his head.  He was covered in peircings, and his beady eyes were staring directly at me.

"Here." He snapped rudely, and I saw that he was thrusting my backpack towards me.  Not bothering to thank him, I yanked it out of his hands and stalked away, fuming.  Would it have killed him to apoligize?  I made it to the cafeteria, and pulled a seat up to my table.  I had a lot of friends at this school, and we had to push a couple of tables together to fit all of us.

Several of my friends gave me questioning looks, probably wondering why I looked so ticked off.  I gave them a small smile, hoping they'd drop it and they did.

The rest of my classes were as uneventful as the morning ones.  I was relieved when I finally got to seventh period.  Soon I would be able to go home and see Jamie.  I wrinkled my nose up slightly as an unpleasent smell hit me.  I had been smelling it off and on all day, and I had no idea what it was.

I continued taking notes, until a voice on the intercom cut our teacher off.

"Excuse me students and teachers, but we are going to be conducting a drug search.  Please go on teaching your classes, and we will try to make this as quick as possible."

I raised my eyebrows, slightly surprised.  So the rumors were true?  My classmates were all whispering frantically to eachother while the teacher tried to calm them down.  I picked up on my friend Jason's conversation from behind me.

"Yeah, I heard someone has a giant stash hidden in the school.  I wonder who it was.  I'd make a run for it if I were him."

I had completely lost interest in the teacher by now as I thought over what was going on.  Who would be foolish enough to bring drugs to school.  That was something I could never understand.  Why put your whole life in jeoprody for something so meaningless?

Mr. Arelson had given up teaching the class by now, and was staring at the door like the rest of us.  We could hear a commotion going on in the hallway, and I was burning with curiosity.  What was going on?  Had they caught the person?

All of a sudden the door banged open, causing everyone to jump.  My eyes widened even more when I saw what was standing there.  Large, scary looking dogs were clawing at the ground, trying desperatly to get off their leashes.  I had always been a little scared of dogs, and being near ones that looked so bloodthirsty was scaring the crap out of me. 

Before I could comprehend what was happening, the police man had dropped one of the dog's leashes.  I felt like everything was in slow motion as the dog scrambled fowards.  It kept running, coming right at me.  I opened my mouth in a silent scream, as the dog lept fowards and landed...

Right on my backpack.