Chapter Ten (1/3)

Original Authors Note: [I'm going on a short hiatus after this, which will last for as long as it takes my beta reader to edit the entirety of Part I (let's hope it doesn't take her long). Then I'll post it on my AO3 account {I don't know the authors AO3 account since these chapters have been written under "Anonymous"}, because I want to share this story without sending people to the kink meme. I'll keep posting here, though, don't worry! I'll post here the sections as soon as they're ready, and once a part is over and edited, it'll go to my AO3 account, so don't stop checking here. Anyway, we're at the end of Part I. I never thought I'd write so much. Thank you for your comments, and special thanks to that anon who comments every time I post something. I think it's always the same person. Sorry if they aren't. The thing is that seeing the comments makes my day, so thank you for taking the time.

PS: I'll make a post in my writing tumblr {I don't know the Tumblr either} with the tag "fic: Makes me feel I'm falling down" to let you know when the hiatus ends, in case it's easier than constantly checking the meme for some people.]

X.

Despite the panic from the "Titan in the stables" incident, some people didn't really care and started visiting Eren. The first to arrive, as they ate lunch the day after, was Philip, carrying a couple of books and his own food precariously balanced on top of them, and he sat next to Eren on the floor to eat and tell him stories. He told him about a princess locked on a tower, and the brave prince who'd tried to save her; and about a boy who'd left his home to discover what fear was, because he'd never felt it.

"Did those things really happen?" said Eren, his face red and his eyes shining after he'd finally managed to stop laughing about the ending of the story of the fearless boy.

"I don't know," said Philip, shrugging, "but it wouldn't surprise me."

Eren smiled widely, his teeth showing and his eyes becoming smaller, looking genuinely relaxed for the first time in a couple of days (Hanji could have kissed Philip in gratitude).

The next day, Philip went again at lunch, with stories about knights and fairies. Eren didn't care much for the fairies, but he seemed fascinated by the knight's adventures, so the next day Philip arrived with only one book full of that sort of tales.

Other than Philip, some soldiers went at various times with cards or toys to entertain Eren, and at night Levi arrived for his babysitting turn, since Hanji still had to report what happened during the day. Sometimes, Levi stayed after Hanji arrived to discuss the boy's future.

The only differences with their previous routine were that they couldn't leave the room and that Eren seemed slightly less comfortable around everyone.

"They won't hurt you," said Hanji on the night of the third day, as she pulled the covers over Eren.

"They tried to," the boy replied, frowning.

"And they're sorry. They won't do it again."

"Do you think so?"

"I'm sure. They learnt their lesson."

Eren seemed dubious. He didn't change the way he behaved around the others, and Hanji had to admit that it was probably the smartest decision.