Running Out

Every time he was around her everything was easily spoken, he was honest to her and she was to him in return. Some how she managed to place herself into his daily life, coffee trips, briefings at her apartment and case discussions over lunch or dinner. Somehow he had grown fond of her presence throughout the day, which caused him to grow feelings towards the amazing woman, Olivia Benson. What are you thinking Rafi, you know a relationship with her is unprofessional, he thought to himself. That was when he decided he needed to get out, so Rafael met up with a woman who was interested in him and had a date this evening hoping to push away his feelings towards Olivia. As he stood in his office after changing into a more casual suit Olivia walked in, her face in a case file.

"She says he assaulted her in.."She trailed off noticing him buttoning his shirt.

"Sorry to interrupt, what do you have a date?" She asked laughing but quickly stopped when he gave her a look that appeared to be slightly shocked.

"I ugh, I'm meeting someone," Rafael said stumbling on his explanation.

"Well I guess I'll talk to you tomorrow then," she said turning quickly and almost running out of his office.

He continued to get ready and hailed a cab to the bar, finding his date rather quick he joined her at the counter and ordered a scotch after he offered her one as well. As the night proceeded he couldn't help but think of Olivia running out of his office, why did she run out so quickly?, he thought to himself, not realizing the woman beside him was talking.

"Hey are you listening?" Rafael mentally rolled his eyes at her remark and quickly came up with an answer.

"Sorry it's just been a long day."

"What did you say you were again?"

"I'm the assistant district attorney, I work for the special victims unit."

"Wow, fancy job, quite depressing," she said.

"Well it's for a good cause."

"I guess so," she replied quite bored, so she leaned in and kissed him quite fierce.

Shocked by her kiss he did not hear the person next to him sit down. He pulled away when he heard a familiar gasp, he turned his head quickly seeing Olivia as she got up and once again ran out the bar. Surprisingly Rafael stood up and ran after her, calling her name.

"Liv- wait!"

His date confused, decided to chase after him. When Rafael caught up to Olivia he grabbed her gently turning her around, so she faced him,

"Liv you got to stop running out on me."

"What do you want me to say, I show up to the bar we usually go to, expecting to relax and grab a drink before going home to see Noah, but instead I found you again."

She quickly yanked her arm back and proceeded to walk away and when he grabbed her again not realizing his force, she jumped, quickly turned around as slapped him on his cheek. That's when they both noticed the woman standing behind him.

"I don't know who you are but you have no right slapping him," she said.

"Stay out of this," Olivia replied annoyed.

"I don't understand why you are here, but right now he's my date so just leave."

"Don't talk to her that way," Rafael said in his no nonsense tone. Which resulted in both woman leaving rather quickly. Olivia grabbing a cab and his date running to her car. When he looked back towards Olivia's direction seeing the cab drive away, so he tried to hail a cab to chase after her, finally getting in a cab he directed the driver to Olivia's house, occasionally getting caught in traffic. When he arrived to her apartment he knocked on the door, a minute later Olivia yanked the door partially open,

"What do you want Barba?"

"Can we talk?"

"No."

"Please," he pleaded, knowing she'd give in.

"Fine, make it quick," she said in a serious tone.

He walked into her apartment and sat down on the couch,

"Liv, I'm so sorry I scared you earlier," he said looking up at her.

"It's fine, I'm just a little jumpy at night, and I'm slightly sorry for slapping you."

"Slightly?"

"You deserved it," she said with a hint of humor.

"I beg to differ. So are you going to tell me why every time I see you tonight you run away?"

"Nice try, but no."

"Come on Liv, I hate seeing you run out on me without an explanation."

"I don't know, it's just every time I see you with someone or the thought of you meeting someone, scares me, I don't want to lose our friendship, because honestly, I know I can count on you being there, with full disclosure."Rafael smiled at her words, gratified that she valued there friendship,that came to a surprise for both of them since the Lewis trial. Shaking off the thoughts of that trial, he looked up at her once again and he spoke,

"You can't get rid of me that easy Benson. Besides your one of my closest, and only friends."

"I wonder why," she laughed.

"I should be going, you enjoy the rest of your evening with your son and I'll see you tomorrow," he stood, walking towards the door.

"You too counselor."

Before he had the chance to leave, Olivia grabbed his arm, he turned around and she engulfed him into a hug. To his surprise he wrapped his arms securely around her, and held her close for a brief moment.

"Thanks for the squabble Liv."

"Anytime, I'm glad we could talk."

"Since we're being honest here, I'll tell you why I decided to go out," Barba smirked.

"Which is?"

"I um, was worried about how close our friendship has gotten and my clarity on the job."

"Wow, I didn't expect that, but I'm glad you said something," Olivia smiled leaning into him.

"Yeah me too," Rafael said bringing his head lower to meet hers, placing his lips gently over hers, creating a passionate kiss as they pulled away and he slipped out the door leaving her catching her breath as she leaned against the wall.