2 » Second Chance

I had only wanted to drink my coffee in peace and quiet. Fortunately, my husband had taken the kids to go see a movie, which allowed for a few hours of tranquility on my end. I had intended to fully enjoy it in a small café, watching the hustle and bustle as the rest of the world passed me by.

That was until the manager had begun to scream at one of the employees. The few choice words that were shrieked at an inhuman volume seemed to be the extent of the manager's vocabulary, and I was glad that the kids were gone because I wanted to cover my own ears. I almost turned away in hopes that the manager's verbal abuse would end, but the employee's reaction captured my attention.

Her silence in response to the manager's screams was deafening. I couldn't see her face, nor could I imagine the expression that might have been on it. I could only watch her back as she nodded along with whatever the manager was bellowing.

It was odd to see her acceptance of everything without even an attempt to defend herself. She could have said something to try to pacify the manager's anger. She could have yelled back with just as much intensity to call the manager out on the verbal abuse. She could have done so many things, but in the end, all she did was walk out the door when the manager pointed and ordered her to.

I made a mental note to never let my kids work here.