The Next Signless

Three days. That's how long's Karkat's been at the bottom of the meteor, how long he's been huddled next to Gamzee's fridge, reading and re-reading both of the books his dancestor had lent him. He examined each and every one of the pictures in the book, seeing Sollux stand tall and proud, wearing a visor to match his bi-colored eyes, his wardrobe light and comfortable a beautiful golden color. He saw Equius, still muscular, with a soft and welcoming expression on his face, his eyes covered by goggles.

He saw Feferi, in her royal attire. Long, dark hair pulled into a neat and tight braid that hung loosely on her right shoulder. She wore a long white dress, with a golden belt around her waist, matching her golden anklets, bracelets, necklaces and crown. She held her trident which was decorated in fuchsia rings. Her expression was kind and loving, her eyes half lidded and a small smile on her face.

He saw a picture of Nepeta, she wore animal skins and battle attire. She looked dangerous, the claws on her gloves out as she stood in a protective hunched position, she looked just about ready to tear anyone's face off. Kanaya stood in her picture with open arms, a warm and gentle smile on her face. Her clothing was humble, nothing more than a plain jade dress with a cloak to cover it. Tavros wore armor, his shoulders squared up and he looked a little intimidating. In one hand he held his lance, in the other he had his fist raised up, and Karkat noticed his own sign branded onto his forearm.

Terezi looked frightened in hers, she kept herself closed up. Arms tucked into her sides, one clutching the side of shirt, he legs seemed nearly stiff. She looked up into the unknown, scared. Aradia looked wicked. Her hands were turned into fists at her sides and her legs were slightly spread, a sneer on her face. Eridan looked uptight in his respective picture, he wore fancy gold and purple clothing with a monocle on his eye, his hair slicked back and the purple strip on the front part was still present. He had the face of an upset librarian as he glared up at whoever painted him at the time.

Karkat saw Gamzee and Vriska's picture. Gamzee stood tall, a giant spiked club hanging loosely on his shoulder. His hair was giant and wild, specks of different colored blood in it and his clown based attire. His eyes were wide and crazy as his mouth was curled up into a snarl to bare his sharp teeth. Vriska stood beside him. Her face showed more of a mischievous expression. On hand was resting on her clean sword, the other was on her hip.

Karkat didn't know what to think of all of this. For days his head swirled with this information. He sat by Gamzee's fridge, reading aloud and describing the pictures in immense detail. He took small naps and visited the Sollux that had helped him before and spoke to him about these amazing new discoveries. He was truly amazed at what his Beforus self had accomplished. He had put an end to a major war, he had helped keep the peace to a planet, he protected the Empress, he trained soldiers, and he gave Terezi a job with the Empress on the best ways to maintain peace on their planet.

Although this was all amazing, Karkat still wondered what would become of him. What would happen when he would supposedly become the next Signless? Would the others follow him? Support him? Believe him? Go against him? Cull him? Would they think it was just him finally losing his mind and think nothing of it?

These thoughts swirled in his mind constantly, making him slightly dizzy. Would anyone even want to follow him? Let alone want to believe him? Would they assume this was just some crazy plan that Karkat cooked up in order to clear his subconscious for allowing the deaths of their friends? Karkat didn't know where to begin with all these possibilities. He pondered each and every single one while he re-read the books, when suddenly an idea came to mind.

Karkat closed his book, he had just finished finished re-reading The Architect's journals once again, his head rested against the cool door of the fridge behind him. He sighed and thought about his "fate" once more, when an idea struck him. It was so....so simple, and that's what made it perfect. The Cancer troll stood up and replaced the books into his sylladex.