Prelude Part 1 Preparations

Author's Note* This story follows the Reverend's Daughter and will contain spoilers, The Duke's Daughter by Michelle Christine is first in the series, available for purchase on Itunes, Apple books, Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon. Follow and like The Duke's Daughter's Facebook page as well for updates and contests. 

Prelude

The cadence of hammers driving in stakes rang out through the shipyard, above the sharp barking and piercing whistles of men communicating with one another over the din of saws, creaking ropes and the low rumble of rolling iron.  

Setting down the short stack of long boards he carried, Brutus straightened slowly, a low groan escaping as his fist reflexively moved to knead at the aching muscles in his lower back. Puffing air towards a long, ebony lock of hair that had come loose from its queue, Brutus turned about wiping his stinging eyes and moistened brow with a forearm. Pulling a large kerchief from his back pocket, he shook it out with a crisp snap before smoothing his hair back and securing the cloth around his head to absorb the droplets determined to run down his brow and into his eyes. Availing himself of a canteen that hung in the companionway, Brutus drank deeply, replacing the water as his body emitted it. Capping the flask, Brutus left it hanging for the next man and drudgingly made his way back out of the hull to haul more planks.

The two-masted vessel that Brutus sailed, along with a significant overhaul and a thorough renovation, was acquiring a new deck and an additional mast. Brutus, along with his crew, labored daily, the vast undertaking progressing much smoother than any of them had anticipated. Being that the Saucy Wench now belonged to the Crown, the King provided a crew of highly experienced carpenters to lend a much-appreciated hand. Only a fortnight had passed since their task began, already her hull had been broken down and was well on its way to being rebuilt. Her bow now extended much further, creating a sleeker, slimmer vessel, while the additional gun deck; being built on top of the old; had also progressed at an equally, rapid pace, serving to add the needed height to balance her out.

Today the King's carpenters focused on the interior, building walls, doors, desks, cabinets, and lockers; the need for lumber seeming never ending. Dropping a few more boards on the ever-depleting pile, Brutus found himself stepping aside while two of the men came to take away twice as many boards as Brutus had just brought. Brutus sighed heavily in resignation and turned to repeat the process. He attempted to boost his morale with some much-needed bolstering. For every one, 'tis that much more work getting done. You should be thankful. Only imagine how long you would be working at it if you did not have the help. Brutus sent up a quick prayer of thanksgiving; thanking his Lord for the King, and the King's men who helped them. 

While Brutus was eternally grateful to the King for blessing him with his newly acquired position as captain of the craft, Brutus also knew he would greatly miss his former captain and life long friend, Violet Petals. Following their last voyage, Violet had sought the King's grace; choosing to retire after a full pardon was secured for himself and his crew. All of this stemmed from Violet meeting his wife Elizabeth, deciding to settle down and leave sailing behind him, seemingly without a second thought. Brutus, thinking of Violet, attempted to recall how Vi had made himself a reputation as a flamboyantly eccentric, yet, quite convincing pirate. Violet had an upper hand, being blessed that he was well above what one would consider good looking, Vi had put his handsome good looks together with a flamboyant demeanor and a sharp, intuitive wit, all of which had served the crew well their many years at sea. Never before had Brutus been required to sail without his friend, much less had he been required to take full command of the Wench and lead a raid, and Brutus was, as of yet, not quite sure how he was going to go about it.