Chapter 5

Uriah opens his eyes and lets out a loud sigh. Another day in Louisiana, after another dream about Marlene. Marlene, who he should hate. Marlene, who is all the way in Alaska. Who probably hates him after what he did with that girl...

He still can't believe that she's alive. It's crazy. But still, he's glad. If she wasn't, he'd still feel horrible. Now, though, he feels better. She's alive and that's what matters. He just wishes that he could contact her, but instead he has to wait until the visiting day next week.

"Uri, you up?" Zeke asks, flinging open his bedroom door.

"Yeah," Uriah groans. "Sadly."

"Edna said to get your mopey ass downstairs before your breakfast gets cold." Edna is their great aunt, who lives in the French Quarter of New Orleans with her daughter Sophie and her granddaughter Sammie. Edna was going blind, but she claimed to be the best cook around. Which, so far, Zeke and Uriah had to agree. She had a thick accent from speaking Creole, and always threatened to beat his 'mopey ass' with her wooden spoon if he didn't come out of his room.

Sophie works at a bakery down the road, and little Sammie plays with her Barbie dolls all day and begs Uriah and Zeke to play with her. When they do have free time, though, they mostly walk around the city, listening to ghost stories from the older residents and ignoring everyone's gawking at them.

Uriah tosses on a clean shirt and pair of jeans and hurries down the stairs. Sophie smiles and gives him a hug before grabbing her purse and hurrying out. He drops down in one of the kitchen chairs and Edna drops a plate of French toast in front of him.

"Eat up, or you'll grown skinnier than a stick, ya hear?" He nods and shoves some food into his mouth. Edna sits across the table from him, and Sammie begs Zeke to go into her room and play Barbies with her. He obliges and leaves Uriah alone with their great aunt.

"That girl still botherin' ya?" He nods through a mouthful of food. "She prob'ly still loves ya. Girl like that bettah love a boy like ya."

He shrugs. "She's probably moved on." Edna usually says that he needs to 'get ridda that goddamn Yankee ack-scent.'.

Edna shakes her head at him as if he's too dull to understand a simple concept. "I'm tellin' ya, boy, that girl's still in love with ya."

"Are you sure?" He asks hopefully.

"Sure as night n' day." is all she replies.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, but I figured I'd update- even if it's short- so that you know what Uriah's thinking. Hope it wasn't too weird or anything. I'll do Lynn and Shauna and probably Lauren and Tris in the next chapter.