Day 6

"Imagine Person A of your OTP relentlessly flirting with B in public, just to see B blush."

"I don't want to be here either, you know."

I turn to Peeta, who has just walked up, in confusion.

"You know, because you look miserable. And I figured you'd be doing that thing where you get upset because I can socialize and look like I'm enjoying myself more than you are." He raises an eyebrow and I drop my gaze. He can read me too well. "And I'm not. I want to leave just as much as you probably do."

"God, I want to go so badly," I groan, and he laughs softly. "Why does Prim have to be so perfect? If she weren't such a good person she wouldn't have started this whole foundation. And then I wouldn't have to be wearing this." I gesture to my sleek, floor-length black gown. I squirm uncomfortably in it. And my matching heels, though not even a quarter of the height of some of the women's here, are agonizing on my feet.

Peeta steps closer. "If it makes you feel any better, I think you look super sexy."

My eyes dart in every direction, ensuring that no one has heard Peeta's comment. "Peeta," I hiss.

"What?" he shrugs. "You do."

"You can't say that when we're at a gala for child hunger."

He just shrugs again innocently. I exhale in exasperation.

My face is still flaming, and I take a sip of my wine and press the back of my hand to my cheek. Peeta suppresses a smile.

My stomach lurches when he lowers his mouth to my ear.

"I was wrong before," he says, voice low. "I want to leaveway more than you do. There are much better things we could be doing right now."

The wine catches in my throat and I splutter for several moments, earning the glares of a few snobby adults around us.

Peeta just smiles and rubs my back, faux-soothingly, before walking off, leaving me to tend to the fire in the apples of my cheeks.

After an hour filled with fake niceties- and, in one case, with a sweet woman named Annie, genuine niceties- Peeta returns to my side, innocent as ever. We make empty conversation for a few minutes.

"I really do like that dress on you, Katniss," he says at one point, the look on his face sweet, and I smile at him.

Then he bends to my level- a good five inches- and I shudder at his proximity.

"But I'd like it even better off of you."

My sharp intake of breath is all the indication Peeta needs about the effect of his words. He presses a hand to my forehead and tilts his head curiously.

"You seem awfully flushed, Ms. Everdeen."

I glare at him. "Peeta, stop."

The side of his mouth quirks upward. "Why? I'm having a lot of fun here." He lowers his voice, then says, "But I'm going to haveway more fun later, with you."

My heart is pounding furiously in my chest and my breathing is growing rapid and if Peeta doesn't go away I swear I'll-

"Katniss, you came!"

I whip my head towards Prim's squeal and sigh in relief at the sight of her.

"Hey, babe," I reply, and wrap her slender form in a hug. "Damn, you look great," I say when I spot her perfect coils of platinum hair and equally stunning silver gown.

"Thanks," she breathes, still beaming. Then the smile drops right off her pretty face, and she holds me at arm's length. "Katniss, are you feeling alright? You're red as a tomato, and-" she presses a hand to my forehead "- you're super hot."

I shoot Peeta a quick glare over my sister's shoulder. He sends a pure smile my way and waits for me to answer.