III

"We shared a lot of letters. I can't say how many, for certain, but it was one every two days or so. I loved it, we would talk about what happened in our days and we never actually called each other, just letters. She would tell me the ways in which she blackmailed her sister and brother and I would tell her about my straight A's. She would congratulate me and I would scold her for fighting with her siblings. It went on like that for maybe three or four months."

"Then we started skyping and I would get to see her embarrassed face when her mom told her off and she would get to see me blushing whenever she complimented me. But the letters never stopped. Until one day I received a letter where she told me that she loved me. I must have read it a million and one times."

"She said that she understood if I didn't feel the same and she would still accept being friends, but who was she kidding, she knew how much I liked her already. On the letter, she said that she was buying a plane ticket and I started panicking like hell! I was running around the place almost tearing my hair out, I didn't have cute clothes or any good make up or nice shoes so I called Dinah and it turns out she already knew that Lauren was coming."

"At this point, I hadn't seen Lauren for longer than a year and a half and I was pretty much freaking out. We were 21 and 22 at the time. I was still in my last year of college, majoring in English and she had finished her major in music."

"I thought she was coming to California for a small vacation like a week or two. Me and Dinah went to pick her up from the airport."

"It was yet another favorite moment in my life. It was so bittersweet. I remember standing there like an idiot, in my light jeans and a white lace crop top that she loved. I kept looking past the door whenever it opened, in the hopes that it was her walking through but it never was. Dinah was behind me, grinning like a fool too, when I looked ahead again there she was. Gosh, I remember it so well; she walked towards me in her black jeans, black band teeshirt and her combat boots. She had her leather jacket in the straps of her hand luggage while rolling a suitcase behind her. She shot me a huge smile as soon as she saw me and just let go of her baggage. I ran to her and held her so tightly, making sure that she would never leave me again. We must have been hugging for almost an hour. I could feel her breath on my neck and it was driving me absolutely crazy. When I pulled away I made sure to look straight into those eyes that I missed so much. She had a tear rolling down her face. That's when she leaned forward and gave me my first kiss. It was perfect, everything about her was. We kissed and hugged and cried and felt a little bad afterwards because Dinah had been waiting to say hi to her best friend for a while!"

"She drove us to my apartment and promised that we would all hang out later, so we accepted. Lauren didn't even wait until the door was closed to start kissing me. That was the first time we were really together and it was perfect. We spoke about everything, she told me about her time in college and I told her about my teachers and how I was getting on."

"Later that day, we met up with Dinah and just hung out at the beach and at the arcade and just had so much fun! She offered to let Lauren stay at her house but understood if she wanted to stay with me, which she did. After me and Lauren got back to the apartment, she gave me some of the best news I had ever received; she told me that she was staying for good. She was staying in California for good. No more letters or late night phone calls turning into sobs. I was over the moon, we actually ended up celebrating that night."

"That's how life was for us during the following few months, Lauren found a job at a recording studio while I was working part time as an assistant publisher, we made ends meet and lived together in the small apartment I rented out after starting college. Life was perfect."