Prologue

"Do you think we can talk about this?"

I watched her pleadingly. Her emerald green eyes studied me and it was only when she was looking at me did I feel important, beautiful, loved; like a piece of art.

"Lauren! We need to go!" I heard a familiar voice, Dinah's, call out for her urgently.

"I'm in a rush, Y/N," she said honestly, stepping forward and taking my hands in hers. "I don't really have the time at the moment."

I released a deep breath from my nose and nodded slowly, looking down at our intertwined hands. Her slender fingers were laced through mine securely, but I could already feel her slipping away from me.

"You never seem to have the time," I said quietly, hoping it didn't sound too harsh. It didn't matter if it did, though, because it was the truth.

I should have known that dating a famous pop star would come with its disadvantages, but I would have never thought that it meant I hardly ever got to see her or spend time with her.

"We'll talk later, I promise."

She released one of my hands and used it to lift my chin upwards and face her. I was met with her entrancing green eyes and I could already see the love and admiration in them. She loved me deeply and I knew that she didn't want any of this to happen, but sometimes, we can't help what happens, can we?

I nodded my head slowly, knowing that we had to talk. I had plenty to say. It may have not been good, but it needed to be said. No matter how much it would hurt her, hurt me, hurt us both, in the end.

She offered me a final smile before pressing her red-painted lips against my forehead softly, probably being sure not to leave a print. I smiled momentarily at the contact, feeling at peace. I wish we could have stayed like that forever.

But, unfortunately, she pulled away completely, beginning to walk away, out of the coffee shop, leaving me standing there alone. Alone and missing her dearly.

***

I paced up and down the corridor nervously, trying to block out any thoughts that may have convinced me otherwise. I had to do this. As much as I didn't want to, I knew I had to.

A loud knocking brought me out of my thoughts, and I took a deep breath before walking to the  front door of my house. Well, my parents house. I paused before opening it. I could feel my palms becoming sweaty and my heart was racing; it was now or never. I opened the door and on the other side was a worried-looking Lauren.

"Hey," she offered me a small smile. "You said you needed to talk? It seemed urgent."

I didn't trust myself to speak, so I nodded and stepped to the side, motioning for her to walk in. She did so, and I ignored the confused glance she was sending me. Instead, I shut the door and led her to the living room, sitting on the couch. I focused on the wooden coffee table before me, and only when I felt the leather couch sink in beside me, did I know that she had joined me.

"Are you okay, Y/N?"

I closed my eyes for a brief moment. How was I supposed to start this off? I didn't want to lose her. She meant everything to me. But, it wasn't working. I knew that, and she knew that. The timing was way off.