Chapter 4

A couple of days had passed since Amy's first trip to the playgroup. After Rose had spoken to Alex, she seemed to be a lot more at ease and infinitely more confident about their future together, but Alex still decided that it was probably best to stay away from the playgroup for a few days after what had happened. Instead, they spent the following 48 hours at home, the three of them spending each day in their pyjamas watching Disney movies and living off popcorn, pizza, and ice cream. Alex and Rose loved these moments with Amy; loved watching her die of laughter at any remotely funny line and gape in horror at the screen when her favourite characters were in danger, until she eventually fell asleep in their arms as the sun began to set.

It was at the end of the second day, as their movie marathon was drawing to a close and Alex was tucking an already out-cold Amy into bed, when Rose found the card Kyle had given her while she was searching for her phone. It was the first time she had properly looked at it, but she immediately wanted to smack herself for not doing so sooner.

His card had read 'Kyle Montoya, Executive Art Dealer: Kanvas.' Kanvas was, pretty much, the prevailing art business in America at the time. They bought and sold art internationally - even recruiting talent on occasion. And Kyle actually worked for them. Rose almost died of shock. She had been searching for a break like this with her photography for months now. If she could get Kyle interested in her work, then she figured she could have a brand new buyer before the month was through. An international one at that. And though her work already sold fairly well, she simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to partner up with a business as high up on the food chain as Kanvas.

So she gave him a call the following morning and asked if he would be interested in meeting them at the park with his kids, sort of a play date type deal. After all, she didn't want it to seem like she was just calling for business after they'd only spoken one time. Fortunately, Kyle was more than eager to accept the invitation, so they met up a couple hours later. As soon as Amy saw the twins, she ran over to them happily and they immediately rushed off to play on the climbing frame together.

"Rose, Alex! I'm so happy to see you guys again!" Kyle greeted them, kissing Rose on the cheek but deciding to stay at least a foot away from Alex after her noticeable lack of warmth towards him last time. This prompted an eye roll from the former model.

"Relax, Montoya, I'm not gonna bite." At Alex's bitter remark, Kyle laughed awkwardly, unsure as to whether she was being more or less polite than last time. Rose just elbowed her girlfriend in the ribs lightly, having told her earlier in the morning to be nice to Kyle, especially considering the whole reason she had set up the play date.

"Alex, honey, why don't you go watch the kids?"

Rose's tone left no room for debate. With an overly dramatic sigh, Alex made her way over to a bench near where Amy and the twins were playing, leaving Kyle and Rose alone. Rose immediately seized the opportunity to ask Kyle about his business card.

"So, Kyle, I saw on your business card that you work for Kanvas?"

Kyle breathed a laugh, as though he had been waiting for Rose to bring it up. "That's right. Don't tell me that's the only reason you bothered to call?" He jested.

"No, of course not! Amy really wanted to see the twins again, and I-"

"Don't worry, I was kidding. Actually, I have a confession to make. When I heard that you'd be joining our playgroup sessions I was actually kind of eager to meet you. I've been reviewing some of your photography and I really like what I've seen so far."

"You do?" Rose couldn't believe what she was hearing. She'd planned out a whole conversation in her head in which she could subtly introduce her own photography business and interest in Kanvas - she hadn't anticipated such eagerness from Kyle - not that it was an unwelcome surprise.