Chapter 1- Flowers and Hctiwes

I was born 20 minutes after Lily. My mother was suprised to see me having black hair instead of red. She expected identical twins. Nevertheless, she loved me.

"Rose. Her name will be Rose." There came the first thing my parents didn't agree on. You see, my father was okay with Petunia, and he loved the name Lily but the last thing he wanted was a daughter named Rose. He wanted me to be Crystal, but he hadn't told her yet.

So there, in the completely white hospital, my mom with two red shriveled babies in her hands, and my dad with an "are you kidding me" look, the couple started arguing. My mother stood for a girl with a flower name- Rose or Daffodil or even Fern. But my dad wouldn't budge away from Crystal. He kept mentioning that she had named the other two girls.

My parents said that I'd just be called Fern until they could think of a compromise.

So that's how I became Fern Evans. 

I think I went by Fern until I was about a year old. By then, I had already opened my eyes, and my mother agreed that my eyes were like blue, like crystals.  But, being a strong woman, my mum still wanted flower daughters. So at the end, they decided I would be called Chrysanthemum and be known as Crys, which could also be short for Crystal.

I'm not sure if I ever felt responsible for my parents arguing for the first time. I guess it was just gone, considering back then I couldn't remember me being born or ever being called Fern.

So my name was changed and as I started talking, I also started seeing the world better. My first word? Blue.

Everything was normal until Severus came into my life. It was a sunny day in the park, Lily was jumping off the swings, and flipping over several times and then landing like a leaf in guided by the autum breeze. Tuney was yelling her head off. She was always mum's girl, always following directions and standing for what was right. Me? I was playing with a flower. It was opening and closing at my will, like some bizarre, many lipped oyster.

"Hey, Lily! Tuney! Come look at this!" I hummed a beat, and made it wave back and forth to the beat. Lily was impressed, but Petunia just didn't get it.

"What the heck is wrong with you? Stop doing that this instant." Meanwhile, Lily got herself her own flower and was doing the same. 

"Sweet. It's so easy. The flower even seems lighter..." Petunia was baffled.

"But.. But.. how can you do that?"

And so this is the part where Severus came in. He wasn't looking to good. I swear, I been around for a long time, and even now, I can't remember a paler person. His hair looked greasy and unkempt, and his eyes were like black oceans.

"Isn't it obvious? She's a witch." This got Lily off in a sour mood.

"Well. That's not a nice thing to say. You just jump out of nowhere and start insulting me? What?"

"No! That's not what I meant- Wait! Chrysanthemum's a witch too!" This got me confused. Why would he say that? Surely, it ment something. I'm not sure why, but I always liked codes and things backwards. So I tried my hardest to change witch into a code-

"Hctiw? (I pronounced it Huck-tea-aw) What's that?" Severus was confused, so I guess I messed up there.

"What are you talking about, Crys? Whatever... Tuney, let's go." Lily said. She glared at Severus so hard that he flinched. And as I was walking away, I saw that snape boy with such a hurt expression on his face that I wanted to go and hug him. I regret not doing so.

Everything soon came back to normal until the one day Lily told me to cover for me and she snuck out of the house.