Ch 1: Dreadful orphanages

I mopped and dusted the floors of the dull orphanage. 

Mrs. Maddison Claire was the orphanage etiquette mistress also known to the naughty children as Madame 'Claire-bottom' as her husband is a mad man named Tom Bottom. 

She screamed at me and Laura to mop faster for the sponsors of the little orphanage called Sopra Titanio Minnus's Orphans were to show up any time soon. 

The worst name ever possible. 

I began to mop faster. The sweat and grime of the day's work showed on my face. Mrs. Nora came by and with one look at my face she snapped. "Cora Russel Thompson!" Mrs. Nora cried. 

"Come here this instant! You've ruined your snowy white special gown!" Nora screamed. 

Laura and I exchanged knowing looks. 

Being the oldest of all the orphans, Laura and I suffered even though we were simply 8 years of age.

My life story seemed particularly dull at this point of life.

 Laura and I loved to read. We read books on the normal girls who were our age. They played with wooden dollies, ate cakes and muffins for snack and played outside with their friends all day long. 

What a spectacular life they must have led. 

"Mrs. Nora I'm afraid it isn't my fault. I have been sent here to work so it's only obvious that my dress would be dirty." I replied in my heavy British accent.

"Don't make excuses child! And never speak to your elders that way!" Madame Maddison Bottom screamed. 

"It's only proper etiquette to speak softly and politely in the hallways madame." I imitated. 

Madame Maddison bottom only glared as Mrs. Nora took me away to the orphans changing stalls. 

"Wear this apron immediately! Since you disobeyed my rules you clumsy little monster, you will be a maid today and perhaps, I hope, the sponsors don't choose you so you can live another few year in peril till you understand your rightful place." Mrs. Nora said. 

I quietly put on my apron, very sad. 

I thought I had a chance to leave this terrible place but it looks like i was out of luck. A child had to be taken by a sponsor by force if the child turned 10 for the orphanage did not keep a child older than that. 

If the child was still a nuisance, then she would be sent to another far off orphanage. 

Soon, it was time for the sponsors to show up.