19 October 2022

"Alright. Thanks, PJ," I spoke over the phone to him. I slipped my phone in my pocket and quickly grabbed paper and a black pen.

236. Winston Road. That's all I needed on the paper. I stuck it in my other pocket as I grabbed my keys and walked out the door, locking it behind me.

The weather was becoming cold. But for London, it was nothing new. It was either hot or cold. In October, you would know what the weather would be like.

The trees shook, the wind blew, and the pollution was stuck in the air. The sun was shining through the clouds. It was a nice day.

I was hoping it would stay that way.

I walked a few more blocks.

I was arriving soon.

Don't fuck up again, Dan.

I really didn't want to. I needed this day to be fine. I'm hoping he would be, too.

I crossed the last street and saw the flat.

After all these years, I was finally going to see him. He didn't know, but I'm glad he didn't.

I walked inside and made my way over to the lifts. Pressing the up button, the doors opened. I walked inside and pressed 2. I took a deep breath as the doors closed.

It beeped twice, having the doors open on the last beep.

"Okay, Dan. Don't fuck up," I muttered to myself. I passed someone who walked into the lift as I walked out.

I became slightly terrified, but excited. I could've done this in years past, but I was doing this now.

This is it.

Your time is up.

I approached room 236. I stood right in front of it. I held my breath.

Right behind this door was someone whom I met 13 years ago. In 2009, he became my best friend. My best friend for years. We went to Japan, wrote a book, created an app, many things that I've done with an individual. I missed them all. And the person I missed them with was right behind this door.

I let go of the breath I was holding. Licking my lips, I did it.

I knocked on the door.

"Coming!" I heard from inside.

This is it.

It felt like my mind was thinking about a million things when it was just thinking about one in particular.

I heard foot steps that were distantly approaching. There was a lock unlocking through the door. There was a latch being removed. There was a dark wooden door opening.

"Dan?"

There was him.

"Hi, Phil."