4 - In which we meet a ghost

[Eden's Point of View]

She was not responding well to any of the stimuli. She was- there was something strange. I could sit and watch her all day, all night and not be able to figure out what it was, but in all her actions and words there were tiny things knocked slightly off kilter.

I didn't like how it felt. They were going to have to do something. WICKED, all powerful, send a girl into a maze and somehow, she avoids death. They won't let that happen.

The man from the cell, the screaming man, they still won't tell me who he is. 'Find out everything there is to know about this girl, her family, her friends, her past' they say, but then they don't tell you the one most important thing.

Not only that, but he's been talking again. Only ever to one girl, an Ava Paige. She is 30 or so I think, and I don't know how she does it, but when I go in to give him food afterwards, the air always seems to be colder, stiller. The calm before a storm.

A really big storm at that, with monsoons and thunder and other bad things. Like cranks.

We had out third crank scare in a year two days ago, and people are still recovering from the shock. Harriet and I have decided that we are glad our parents put us here. At least we're verging on safety.

But away from Harriet I can't help but wonder if one of the cranks was Mum or Dad or maybe a sibling the injections made us forget about.

Only one thing is certain: Something is very wrong here. And as Lucie's observer, I need to find out.

Harriet must not know, because she is going up to the same glade as Lucie. I can't tell her, so I think that I'll tell Chuck.

In the monitor I could see Lucie's reaction to Newt and the building. I could hear Newt's screams in my ears, pounding like a heartbeat. I could almost feel the wood she touched, the ground she walked beneath me.

It was strangely surreal, this sense of almost being there and yet being so very far away. It is easy to detach yourself from something you have no part in. A different person could watch this scene, hear these words, and be horrified. But would they do anything?

And then here we all are, watching our friends day in, day out, but not ever trying to get them out of that hell, because we do not want to compromise our own safety.

But Lucie did do something, though quite the opposite of what anyone expected. She helped Maddy get into the Glade, get back her memories. She tried to help them get out, but instead, she helped her best friends demise.

Maybe that's why we don't help each other. Fear of making things worse, of complicating it. Fear of the world and what it could do to us.

Like it could do any worse than this.

In my ears I am hearing words, but not listening. My eyes are seeing things but not looking. My mouth is speaking but not talking. And nothing here seems right. Lucie's words are jumbled. The images are scary. My words are nonsense.

Even when I pass out, there seem to be patterns in the black, words.

WICKED is good
WICKED is good
WICKED is good

And then the last one is different.

WICKED is bad

I wake and it seems as though a ghost is hovering over me. My first thought is that of death. My second of terror.

This is no ghost. This is Ava Paige. The air is cold and still. The calm before the storm.

A/N sorry that was a bit drabbly Please keep voting, commenting etc Love youus (:
-Katie