Chapter 2

"HYAH!" A sword thrust into the air, maneuvering gracefully around a tree. Finn practiced stabbing around with his pale sword, simply playing around. Finn had grown up. Replacing his once pudgy, gangly figure now lies a tall, muscular young man. He lifted off his hat to let his blonde hair flow in the wind, relieving him from the sweat that trickled down his forehead.

"Finn, are ya done practicing? I made lunch!" Jake yelled from inside the treehouse. Although years had passed, not much had changed with the two friends. They still were adventuring, they still were having fun.

Finn wiped his brow and place his good back on his head. He put away his sword and made his way back to his home.

As he strolled along, a group of water nymphs cooed from their small puddle.

"Fiiiiinn, hiiii!" She squealed. The three nymphs giggled to themselves.

"Hi, girls." Finn bowed his head and grinned. He was used to having women throw themselves at him. After all, he was the hero of Ooo- the champion of all the land. But he wasn't interested in dating anyone at the moment. He went through many relationships during his younger years and just wanted a break. He wanted to focus on his legacy, not on romance.

He walked into the treehouse, the delicious smell of lunch permeated through the air.

"Hot dog, Jake, what did you make?" Finn stopped in his tracks. Sitting at the table across from Jake was Cinnamon Bun.

"Oh, I didn't know we had company! How are you, CB?" Finn tossed his sword in a corner of the house next to his barrage of weapons.

"I've been sent by Flame Princess. She's having a royal ball to find a suitor. She thought it'd be fitting to invite the heroes of Ooo." CB pulled out an invitation from his nap sack.

Flame Princess was inviting him to a party? Finn gulped. His stomach began doing somersaults. Why was she doing this? It probably meant nothing. But she is dating again? What ever happened to having too much responsibility to date?

"The whole family is invited!" Jake smiled, still such a proud dad. "Apparently this is gonna be some party. All the kingdoms are invited."

"And she specifically requested that I be there?" Finn leaned on the table before him, putting his face in Cinnamon Bun's.

"Uh, ya. As an old friend. Don't get any ideas." CB backed away from Finn, clearly still uncomfortable with the level of intensity in Finn's voice.

Of course, Finn thought. Don't get your hopes up. He knew this was just another party that he was obligated to attend. It meant nothing. He meant nothing to her.

Although Finn had dated, he never loved anyone like he loved his Flame Princess. He always waited for the day she'd come back to him. But after years of waiting, he knew it was really over. He'd attend the party, make his regular appearance, but he had no expectations. He wasn't invited as a potential suitor. But maybe he could help her pick the right guy? Maybe this was his opportunity to at least rebuild a friendship with Flame Princess. That would be enough for him.

"Well, I have to go now. See you in a few days." CB stood up and left the tree house.

"Kinda awkward FP invited us, huh? Not like we're the best of friends. Guess this isn't a very exclusive party." Jake chewed on his lunch.

Finn's mood dropped immediately.

"Jake, I think I'm gonna go practice some more. Get my mind off things. I need to let things...fester."

"Oh no, not again. Finn. Get yourself together. This is just another royal party, we've been to a million like them. Festering is never a good thing!" Jake called after Finn as he walked out the door.

Finn stopped outside his house by the nymphs. Maybe spending a little time flirting would take his mind off things.

He needed anything to take his mind off of Flame Princess. He knew in just a few short days he'd be face to face with her again. Face to face with his Flame Princess.