Chapter Twenty: Sacrificial Lamb

Sapphire Nightborne

The temptation to rip the gold-coloured gown in front of me increased the more I looked at myself. It might have been the perfect dress to any other she-wolf, but to me, it only screamed one word: Slavery.

That was what I saw, slavery, the onyx studded bracelets might as well have been shackles because what I was about to do was not an inch different from slavery. I was about to sell my soul and body to someone, who if I had choice won't go near with a hundred-foot pole. I was going to be forced to listen to whatever he tells me and take whatever punishment that came my way. And for what price? Most slaves were sold for money, but this was not the case now, the price was not money or any other worldly jewel, it was something a million times more precious. My price was lives, the lives of my people.

That was the proposition Damien gave me, my submission to him for the lives of my pack members... how could I refuse. I knew that there was a high chance of this being one big ruse to get me to comply with him, but if there was one teaching that stuck with me since I was young, it was that you don't gamble lives, especially the lives of your family.

What if I had refused and it turned out that Damien was telling the truth? Another couple dozens of people's blood would paint my hands red again, besides it was one life sacrificed for the lives of many. I would not even lose my life, it was just my soul and everything I stand for being taken away from me. The vows that I took on the day I became Head Warrior Commander flashed through my mind, especially one line:

'I promise in front of the elders and my Alphas that I will always put my life below that of our pack's.'

It had been so easy at that time to recite it out with conviction and confidence, but now I realised what it truly meant. I was going to give my whole life away so that they could live theirs. They probably won't even know that I made this sacrifice, they would probably think they were skilled enough to escape or lucky enough not to get caught.

I was too absorbed in my thoughts that I had not realised a lacquered wooden box had been placed on the windowsill, my first instinct was to throw it back to where it came from when I saw that a note had been attached to it.

"Dear Sapphire,

I know that I could never begin to understand what you're feeling now and I am terribly sorry that more pressure has to be piled onto you.

Damien has requested that you wear our mother's jewels, the same jewellery she wore to her binding ceremony, he would also like to remind you of the precious cargo you would lose if you defy him.

He could not write this letter himself as he had 'urgent affairs' to attend to. I promise you, Sapphire, I will help you find a way to leave this hellhole.

Sincerely,

Chloe"

The only sound in the room was that of paper crushing as I balled up the paper in one hand, I looked at it one last time before throwing it right out of the window.

I carried the box to the dresser before opening it, the jewellery in it was infamous as was its previous owner. Valentina wore this the day she was forced to renounce her entire pack and family, she was in a room just like me, knowing that she was signing her life her way.

I wonder how she felt, knowing the monster waiting for her. I expected my hands to shake as I fastened the first piece around my neck, but they did not. Not because I was resigned to my fate but because unlike Valentina, I was going to fight. The first piece was a choker with a small onyx wolf as its pendant, this was a symbol of possession and ownership. Roland wanted the world to know of the trophy he had gained, and today his son wanted the same too.

I reached into the box to pick up the next piece of jewellery when my hand brushed against an envelope. I picked up the white paper before turning it to see Chloe's handwriting on the front.

This was all I could save. I am sorry Sapphire.

I ripped the envelope open before turning it upside down. Tears brimmed in my eyes as I saw the blue stone that fell into my hand. The gold chain might be new, but the stone was not. The tears began to fall as I stroked the stone with my finger. Pressing my lips to it, I reached the choker around my neck. The sound of silk tearing could be heard as I ripped off the choker and chucked it to the side of the room.

My hands shook as I reached my hands around to clasp the necklace in place. I took in a deep breath as the pendant settled at its place at the base of my throat, a warm feeling seemed to spread across my entire body. I sighed as I opened my eyes and looked at the mirror in front of me.

The girl now staring at me through the mirror was the total opposite of me, she had a soft glow surrounding her face that was framed by even softer curls, and she looked like a picture-perfect bride. What a lie. This was not my happy ever after, not the ending I thought I would have.

The only thing that stood out was my sapphire necklace that clashed with the colour scheme of everything else, that brought a smile to my face. He can try all he wants but he will never be able to own me completely.

"Don't cry my Queen, even the stars never fail to marvel at your beauty."

I almost snapped my neck as I turned to look around the huge room looking for the source of that voice but no one was in the room now except me, great now I was hearing voices, first I lost my family then my future and now I was going to lose my mind. A knock on the door jarred me from my thoughts, a few guards called out to me to escort me to hell, I took one last look around the room before sighing. Let's get this done and be done with it fast.

Hi my lovelies,

Time for the question of the chapter:

Does this redeem Chloe in your eyes?

Let me know in the comments.

xoxo

S.N Nair