Chapter 17

~Tony's pov~

He had been carrying Sarah the entire way home and even now, as they entered their hotelroom, he didn't put her down in her makeshift crib. He couldn't bear the idea of losing her out of sight again. He sat on the bed and Ziva sat on the couch across from it. He glanced at Sarah to check if she was OK. She was asleep. He didn't realise he was smiling until he looked back up and Ziva was grinning at him.
"What's wrong? Do I have something between my teeth?"
She laughed and shook her head.
"I knew you were going to like that baby!"
He shrugged.
"I don't especially like the baby, I just have to get her home safe, that's all."
"Hah! You have been holding her like she is made of glass and she could break at any moment. Of course, you held her briefly in the plane to change her diapers, but that was very different. And the way you..."
He stopped her mid-sentence.
"Wait a minute! You were awake?! Why didn't you help me?"
She looked at him playfully.
"It was too funny to interupt."
She grinned at him and he couldn't help but slowly shake his head and grin too.
He was rubbing off on her, he thought.
Ziva then stood up to take a shower and to change into pijama's and Tony did the same as soon as she was done, finally handing Sarah to her. When he came out of the shower, Sarah was still asleep and in her crib. Ziva was trying to get comfortable on the couch, but the couch was too small for her and her legs were sticking out over the arm rest.
He laughed and she looked annoyed. He let himself fall on the bed and patted the spot next to him.
"You can sleep on the bed with me, if you want. I don't mind."
She stood up and lay down next to him, after pushing him to the other side of the bed. She now lay next to Sarah.
"Do you mind if I stay here, next to her? It would put my mind on ease, knowing that I could grab her if I have to."
He shook his head and they lay down under the blankets. Ziva lay with her back at him and her face to Sarah. And they fell a sleep.
A few hours later he sat on the side of the bed, staring at Ziva and Sarah. He had woken up after dreaming that Sarag had been drowned and that Carmen had pushed Ziva against a wall, who broke her neck in the process. He then had quickly sat up to check on them. Ziva was laying on her back, her right hand was touching Sarah's cheek and Sarah had grabbed one of Ziva's fingers. They looked adorable. He sighed and lay on his back again and closed his eyes. He then felt Ziva's free hand gently touching his, as if to test if she could grab it. He smiled and grabbed her hand. And they lay like that all night, their fingers interwined.