Chapter 18

~Ziva's pov~

She woke up to memories of the day before flashing before her eyes. A slight feeling of confusion and worry, followed by her heart skipping a beat, made her turn her head quickly, looking behind her to see if Sarah was still there. She sighed, relieved to see that she was peacefully laying on her stomach, her head facing the wall. Ziva lay back in the position she was sleeping in, only then realising what that position was: ironically, she was the big spoon and Tony was the little spoon. She had her right arm around Tony's waist and he held on to her hand with his. Also, her right leg was wrapped around his legs. She imagined it looked as if she was riding on his back, as she had done with her father when she was about four years old.
She dared not move, because she was actually pretty comfortable and she didn't want to wake Tony up. She wanted to make it all last a little longer.
Just a few seconds later, Tony appeared to have woken up: he bowed his head, presumably to look at their hands. The question whether he was awake or not was answered when he squeezed her hand lightly. He then slowly went to lean on one elbow to look at the position of her leg, still holding her hand to his chest. From her point of view she could see him flashing his DiNozzo-smile at noone in particular and she could almost hear him think 'Tony DiNozzo did it again'. She smiled and quickly shut her eyes, not wanting to make it awkward by being awake.
She felt his gaze on her and she focussed on appearing asleep. She then felt that he released her hand after he placed it on her side and he carefully pushed her leg off him. Then he stood up and quetly walked to the bathroom. She was still laying on her side, so she could watch him, until he closed the door. She heard him dress and brush his teeth, but she also heard him whisper...
She closed her eyes and still didn't move as he walked out and heard his footsteps stop next to the bed. She felt the heat if his body as he hovered over her, gently giving her a kiss on her temple. On cue, she opened her eyes. To save his face, he gently shook her arm, as if he had been trying to wake her up like that all along.
'Time to wake up, Ziva. I have reserved a table in the restaurant downstairs, for breakfast.'
That was why he was whispering, she thought, he was making reservations. She rubbed her eyes and sat up. She then looked to her right. Sarah hadn't moved until now, but a nearly soundless snore escaped from her mouth. She smiled, then smiled at Tony too.
'And then we can finally bring her to her new home.'