3.1

**Author's Note: I realized that I switched tenses, and I honestly don't know why. I started the fanfic, then sorta forgot about it and started writing differently when I picked it back up. I thought about changing it, but honestly it seemed to flow fine and I was too lazy. If it is a problem for the readers, then I'll change it.

Neal's POV

So if anyone ever told me that I'd wind up in the real world in a small town that no one knows exists filled with Fairytale characters, I'd ask them what they were smoking and possibly want to try it. I'm only half kidding. I never expected to be here and I sure as hell didn't expect to ever be around my father again. Yet here I was, smack dab in the middle of this "magical place" called Storybrooke.

I have been here a total of three days now. In that time period I have watched my father nearly die and my ex-girlfriend/mother-of-the-son-I-never-knew-about-until-three-days-ago wield magic that I never knew she had. Yup, things got pretty crazy in this place, but I think I'm going to stick around for a bit.

Why not? I had a lot of time to make up for not being in my son's life and things still weren't settled between Emma and me.

I made my way to Granny's, which seemed to be the only place to eat around here.

"Hey Henry," I called out to my son who was sitting at the counter. He was having hot chocolate with cinnamon. The word son felt awkward as it escaped my mouth, but I guess it would feel more natural over time.

He turned in my direction and waved me over. I slipped my hands in my front pockets as I walked over to him.

"So this is Emma's idea of breakfast for you huh?" I joked.

"Actually she doesn't know, neither does Regina." He answered with a sly grin.

"Ah," I replied knowingly. Emma probably had her hands full with trying to keep Regina from going ape shit on Snow. But then, who was really keeping an eye on Henry? The kid can't watch himself.

"Where is she, Emma I mean?" I asked him. I knew she was probably busy, but that didn't mean that I didn't want to talk to her or see her.

Henry swirled the cinnamon sprinkles around with his spoon before taking a sip.

"At home I guess. They are trying to figure out what to do about, you know..." He answered. Poor kid. He shouldn't be stuck between all this madness.

"Look, Henry I know we don't know each other, but I'm your dad and I'm here for you, okay?" I told him. God, it still felt so weird to say that.

Henry nodded his head and continued to drink his hot chocolate. I hailed a waitress down and ordered some waffles and bacon. Hey, it was still morning somewhere in the world, right?

Seven minutes or so later and a beautiful plate of food was placed in front of me. A stack of warm, fluffy waffles with three thick slices of bacon. Just as I was about to take a bite, I heard the door chime and open behind me. I obviously turned around and in walked Emma.

She looked relieved when she saw us, well more so Henry than me.

"Kid, I've been looking everywhere for you." She said as she pulled off her gloves. She asked Ruby to get her "the usual" and I wondered what that was.

"Hi Emma," I greeted her.

"Hi Neal," She returned as she took a seat next to Henry.

"So, uh, how are things?" I asked unsure of how to make small talk with her.