Colorless

Looking into the Mirror as her mother did her hair, all she saw were the same bland colors as always, so she asked
"Mom, what do the colors look like?"
Clover had asked this often, as she could only see in black and white.
   "It's hard to explain, but you'll see them someday" Her mother always replied.
   "But when? I want to see them now!" Her Mother sighed
   "I have an idea" She lead Clover to the kitchen, and told her to close her eyes. Clover heard rustling around her and tried to peak.
   "Keep them closed Clover" she obeyed, her seven year old mind full of curiosity.
   "Ok, hold this" Her mother placed something cold, no doubt ice.
   "This is blue" Taking the object away, only to replace it with something hot.
  "Ow!" The young girl jumped, juggling the hot object between her hands
   The woman chuckled at her daughter "That's red"
Putting the object away and handing the girl one last thing. It was thin as paper and had a rough texture. A leaf
    "Smell it"
She did as she was told and smelled the small leaf. A earthy, crisp smell came from it.
   "That's green"
Opening her eyes she smiled bright
   "I get it! But, when will I get to see them for myself"
   "One day, I promise you"
This was how it was, children were born completely color blind, unable to see even the slightest bit of color. The adults tell them that when you meet that 'special someone' then the worlds colors are revealed, or that's what they say. Not many kids believed them until it actually happened to them, and most spend their whole lives until then imagining a world that isn't black and white. Adults who have already found their partners talk of about how amazing it is, telling them about the colors, but never really being able to describe it well enough.
    Several years passed from that night, and Clover (now seventeen) was a junior in high school, and had grown into a beautiful young woman. She was one of the few of her age that still dreamed of a colored world, always imagining what everything would look like.
    "Mom, what color is my outfit?" This was a morning routine for her, wanting to know what her outfit looked like. She was wearing a long sleeved shirt, the sleeves going a little past her fingertips, jeans and a pair of converse
   "Your shirt is blue, so is the denim of the jeans but it's a bit darker, and the black converse your wearing have purple laces" Her mother replied, always willing to help her daughter.
   "Thanks mom, I got to go if I want to catch the bus" Smiling she grabbed her bag and walked the few blocks it was to the bus stop.
When the bus pulled up, squeaking to a stop and opening the door, she climbed on and went straight to her line seat in the back. Putting in her earbuds she turned the music on her phone up loud and moved her gaze out the window, staring at the gray scenery blurring by.
    Clover was a bit of a social outcast, always sitting alone at lunch or in class, and usually having her nose in a book. Not having manny friends she didn't have anything else to do, or much of a social life. She got good grades without much effort, which was a good thing because the teen spent most of her class time daydreaming or doodling on scrap pieces of paper.
    By the time the bell signaling the end of the school day rang, Clover was ready to get out of that place. People picked on the poor girl, taking her stuff, calling names and on occasion pushing her to the floor.
Hugging her books tight to her chest she walked outside of the building and down the main steps.
Looking to the left she sees the 'popular' kids, the ones who pick on her most. Hiding her face in her colorless hair she walks on, not noticing the outstretched leg that tripped her.
   Scraping her knees and hands on the concrete, she watched as her papers and books scattered across the ground, and let out a noise of slight pain and surprise. Reaching to grab one of her books, she found someone stepping on it.
    "Look, it's little miss daydream" one of the girls hissed, words like venom off her tongue.
    "Get off my book" Clover mumbled, pulling it from under the girls probably-too-expensive shoes, causing her to almost trip.
   "Who do you think you are" Britney spat, her group walking up behind her
   "I know I'm not a shallow brat"  She mumbled from her position still on the ground.
   "Shallow!" Obviously she heard her
   "Yeah, meaning I could stand in a puddle of you and not get my feet wet" Clover had no idea where all this confidence came from, but she was tired of being pushed around.
   Britney's face twisted into a sour expression, she lifted her hand back and slapped Clover across the face with a well-manicured hand. Clover licked her lip and tasted the tang of blood, glaring at the girl.
    "Are you just going to sit there? Why don't you do something?" Britney sneered
   Clover remained silent, looking at the girls with defiant eyes.
   "Come on Britney, she's not worth it" one of the other three girls said
   "What a weakling" another said as they walked off.
   Clover begin gathering her papers, thinking about what had just happened. Her knees were scraped badly and her lip still bleed, a bruise no doubtably forming on her right cheek.
   A few salty tears ran down her cheeks, reaching to grab the last book, only to have someone else grab it first. She looked up with unshed tears filling her eyes to see a taller boy wearing a hoodie and jeans handing her her book back. She gently grabbed it, putting it in her bag with the rest.
   "Clover right? I'm Allen" Giving her a small smile she took in his appearance.
He was well built, as she knew he was one of the schools star Baseball players (third basemen if she wasn't mistaken). Stretching out a hand for her to take he asks "are you alright?"
She cautiously reached to take it, putting her small hand is his larger one. As soon as the contact was made, color boomed all around them and they both gasped in shock.
   Looking around she saw every color her mother explained, and some how she knew exactly which was which. Grabbing her phone she turned the camera to see herself.
   Her eyes were a brilliant shade of blue, and her hair was a dark red, almost brown. Tracing her freckled cheek with her hand she turned to Allen who was still looking around in wonder.
   "Look at this!" She said excitedly
He looked at his own reflection and his bright green eyes widened. His untamed hair was a light brown, and she saw his hoodie was a light green matching his eyes.
   "This is, weird" he said and they both started laughing. She wrapped her arms around Allen's neck and he spun her small frame around, both of them excited to see the world as it's supposed to be seen.
   "Does this mean that we're.." He trailed of, a light pink settled across both their cheeks.
   "I guess" was her reply
Looking up she took in a quick breath when she saw the sky. White, puffy clouds over a field of blue.
   "This is, amazing" she breathed out.
He took her hand in his and smiled.
   "Come on Al!" She cheered, dragging him down the street.
   "Clover where are we going?"
    "I've always wanted to see the flowers in front of my house in color!" With large grins and laughs they ran down the streets, looking at everything that was so familiar, yet now so foreign.
   From that day on, they were the ones who could tell kids about colors, about how breathtaking they were. Clover not only got to see the coots she had dreamed about, but she got a best friend. No one picked on her again and she was rarely seen without Allen by her side.
   Their world was no longer Colorless