09. Stupid Questions

The realisation crossed Zach’s face as he thought Allie didn’t want him. Zach pulled back from her suddenly, pain filling his eyes. Allie felt her heart melt for him.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t ha-” Zach begins hurriedly.

“No, no, Zach that’s not it!” Allie didn’t want him jumping to the wrong conclusions, she needed to explain, and she didn’t want to hurt him, “It’s me, I just- You’re wonderful, and this is sort of a big deal. I’m still just not sure what- I think... I- I like you. I mean, I really like you! I just don’t know if I’m okay enough for this, I don’t want to weigh you down. Or, disappoint you.”

That was Allie’s biggest fear, disappointing Zach. What if he had high expectations, or he thought of her as more than she was?

The pain vanished and his eyes lit up again, “You’re not going to do either of those things Alile,”

“You don’t know that...”  she muttered, chewing on her lip again.

“Yeah I do,” Zach smiled softly at her, “If you just want to stay friends...” he trailed off, begging her in his head to say she didn’t.

“No!” Allie spoke quickly, blushing hard once she realised how eager she was “I mean, unless you do?”

Zach smirked at Allie’s quick reply, “How about, we just take it slow?”

Still chewing her lip, Allie looked at him guiltily, nodding her head, “I’d like that... I’m sorry to make you wait...”

“Allie, I’d wait forever.”

Her eyes snapped up, staring at him. Would he really? Did he honestly think she was worth that? Allie didn’t believe she was.

“Well, you won’t have to wait that long, promise!” Allie smiled a little at him, trying to lighten the mood again.

“How long do I have to wait until I finally get to kiss you then?”

Allie just smiled, and bit her lip again. The fact that he was willing to wait, and he still wanted to have her when he could have any other girl at the snap of his fingers spoke worlds to Allie. She didn’t want to make him wait long.

~

Allie woke up a lot earlier than she would have liked to, but at least she was in her own bed. Allie groaned loudly into her pillow, trying to pretend it wasn’t Monday. Trying to pretend it wasn’t the day she would be starting her final year of school, in England, with no friends, when she would be two months from finishing if she were in Australia right then. An annoying beeping continued to sound from her phone as she buried her face further into her pillow, trying to block it out.

Twenty minutes later after finally giving in, Allie had gotten up, showered and thrown some appropriate clothes on. She was brushing her teeth when she heard her father leaving for work. Not even a goodbye on her first day. Not so much as a good luck, or have fun. Not even a good morning. Allie brushed off the hurt, there was no point in starting the day feeling bad. Her phone beeped as she was rinsing her mouth.

Rob

First day of school today right?! Have fun & good luck. It’ll be fine :) x

Allie felt a little better as she read it, at least someone cared. Allie put it off as long as she could, not wanting to leave. Eventually though, she worked up the nerve and left, closing the door behind  her.

Allie was halfway to the street when she heard her name. Spinning back around Allie found a shirtless Zach jogging towards her, a beanie had hurriedly been shoved on his head, because he hadn’t had time to fix his hair. Allie’s eyes slid from his beanie, raking over his toned chest.