$0

Before

Unknown POV:

"It was a cold December morning when I first saw her. She swayed down the halls of Lincoln High School, slow and alone. Her dirty blonde waves billowed behind her, her long bangs pulled back with a bobby pin. She walked evenly, her maroon cardigan clinging tightly to her body over a crop top with a bow tie graphic on the front. She had ripped, high-waisted black skinny jeans, I still remember. They were worn looking and ripped in different places, and stopped just before her black converse started. When she turned towards my general direction, I could finally see her face. She was pale, with icy blue eyes, like the color of a robin's eggs. Her nose was like a button, tiny and adorable. Pink and slightly chapped, her lips were very ordinary in a beautiful way. The first thing I remember noticing clearly about her appearance was the fact that she didn't wear nearly as much makeup as any other girl I had ever seen. She was naturally beautiful, but it looked like she didn't know it. I didn't know it right then, or even during, or after it all had happened, but she was a mystery that I wanted, needed, to solve. I still don't exactly know why I was so drawn to her. All I know was in that moment, the first time I ever layed eyes on her, I wanted to know her. I wanted to know her story, her past, her present, her future. I was determined to get to know this girl, no matter the cost.

Katalin was a rubic's cube. It took a lot of tries to get her all one color, but then you had to mess that up to get to another side of her. The difference between Katalin and a rubic's cube was that with a rubic's cube, tens of millions of people in the world can solve it. With Katalin, only one person could break through her rough exterior, and see her true colors, her love. Only one person in the ENTIRE world. One word.Six letters. Brodie.

Katalin and Brodie had only known each other for three years, but that was because Brodie had only been alive for three years. Brodie was her light in the ever seeming dark. He was the sun to her earth, without him, she wouldn't be able to function. When he was born, she stopped being so lonely and unattached. She was attached, to him.

My mission was to give her reason to love something other than Brodie. To give her something to live for. Not something to have a life for, something to truly, inexplicably breathe and blink and, well, live for. Something that would make her heart race and pound in her chest like a drum. I had had my fingers crossed that I would be the thing that made her palms sweaty and butterflies to bang around in her stomach, but if I wasn't, well that was okay. I had strived to find her the thing, whether it be a person, thing, activity, that would make her open up and see the world for what it truly is, breaktaking, not just a place where horrible things happen to good people and where great things happen to rich people. No. I wanted to show her to take whatever you have, and make it great. That was my mission. And sadly, I didn't succeed.

If only I had prior knowledge of who she was and who she was assiociated with, maybe I wouldn't have jumped in head first. But I did, and for better or worse, this is my story. Scratch that. This is her story, starring her, with me as a supporting role. Now, before I get too ahead of myself, lets rewind to about 6 months ago, August, senior year."