Chapter Two

What is WRONG with me? What in the world would even possess me to do that?
-You know what.

Dean looked around the kitchen sheepishly, as if his thoughts could be heard.

Shut up.

He continued on with his task of early lunch. He had to admit, he was pretty killer at a good sandwich. Making food also happened to be his favorite distraction. Well, his favorite distraction that wasn't blonde and feisty. Still...he couldn't stop the flood of thoughts from spilling over.

Maybe Cas would just think it was a normal human gesture of friendliness?

It was a slip, Dean hadn't had one of those since high school. But this wasn't high school and he wasn't fooling around in the janitor's closet. For god's sake it's-

"Cas-ti-freakin'el..."

"What has he done now?" Suddenly Sam was casually strolling into the kitchen with a lore book and laptop in hand. Dean hadn't even realized he had spoken aloud and desperately racked his brain trying to figure out at what point his thoughts started being vocalized. "...and why do you look like a deer caught in headlights?"

"I....what? No I don't, shut up." Dean wasn't sure what Sam had heard and wasn't sure how to play it out yet. He made sure to keep his back to him though because his brother could always tell when he was embarrassed. "Want some lunch?"

Sam looked at Dean suspiciously, "No thanks, I already ate." There was silence between them and only the sound of Dean scraping a knife across bread could be heard. "So how is Cas?"

"He's....good," Dean cleared his throat and continued, "He always bounces back, doesn't he? Anyways, I convinced him to come out and eat so my work for the day is done." Dean smiled triumphantly over his shoulder to his brother.

"Small victories, I suppose." Sam said with a shrug and not an ounce of enthusiasm. He continued his research at the table, occasionally taking the time to jot down some notes.

"Are we coming back from hiatus or have yah picked up a hobby you haven't told me about yet?" Dean asked, gesturing with a pack of lunch meat to Sam's book.

"It may be nothing..."

"But you think it's something."

Sam flustered, "Yeah I think it's something." He turned his laptop around so Dean could see the screen, "I think we may have a witch two towns over."

Dean leaned forward to see multiple windows open of articles, all claiming something to do with mysterious death. "Alright, you have officially peaked my interest. Lay it on me."

"So get this," Sam immediately perked up, "There have been four deaths right? The sheriff issued a statement where he admitted all the cases were weirdly similar but said there wasn't enough evidence to establish a pattern. I think it's not just a pattern, I think it's a supernatural pattern."

"What happened to the stiffs?" Dean inquired, continuing to assemble the sandwiches.

Sam scanned his computer screen, "Each body was that of a person who had documented extramarital affairs. The deceased had signs of poison but tox reports came up negative for everything they tested. And the crazy part? The vics were found with claw marks over their hearts, from their own hands."