chapter 17

Chapter 17

~Reunion~

Evelyn sat on the floor with her back on a bookshelf. The day, once again, was slow business. She was reading a newer book, Pride and Prejudice. It was some British novel. Enjolras reminded her much of Mr. Darcy...

She couldn't seem to get him out of her head. It was mildly frustrating how he followed her everywhere in her mind, but wanted nothing to do with her otherwise. Until yesterday, that is.

The bell sounded at the front door, interrupting her thoughts.

...

Enjolras stayed at his desk the entire day, trying to force the words onto the page. He had managed to scrape out two essays so far, falling short of his goal of five.

Enjolras was distracted. His mind kept wandering to Joly at the Sorbonne and Evelyn out doing whatever. Enjolras wasn't too far from graduating, himself. But he found it difficult to imagine himself returning. He would graduate at the end of this coming school year, should he choose to go.

And what would he do from there? His father's right-hand man was running the firm until Enjolras chose to take it over, which would most likely be as soon as he graduated.

But his heart remained in the cause. He resented his acceptance of the pardon, and thought about turning himself in. But then the revolution would go nowhere. If Joly led it, he wouldn't be able to even dream of becoming a doctor. If Evelyn... Enjolras mulled this thought over. She was bright, strong, and quite the spitfire... But he doubted she would have the discipline to lead a revolution. Or that any man would listen to her. Which was a shame, really.

Enjolras's mind went back to Evelyn. His curiosity towards her was almost unbearable. He had never thought about a woman like this before. Then again, he had never met a woman like Evelyn. They were a distraction to him.

Just look at Grantiare... Enjolras sighed and ran his palm over his hair. He even missed Grantaire. He shoved the feelings, still too painful, downward.

He tried to return to writing, but gave up and looked around his room. A lunch tray sat, neglected, on the trunk at the foot of his un-made bed. Enjolras had taken the french press from the kitchen earlier, supplying unlimited refills for his coffee.

But Evelyn. He recalled how her blue eyes shone while she laughed. How her smile lit up an entire room. How she helps others before herself (though he was slightly worried about the extent of this behavior). Most importantly, she wasn't flippant or meek like most women he had met. She was brave, yet gentle. Her sarcastic and playful attitude made her a challenge for Enjolras. Which only made him want her more.

His brows furrowed as he thought of ways to ignore her.

...

That Sunday, Evelyn had managed to convince Enjolras to come with her to meet her family. Honestly, she was afraid. She was afraid that her parents would force her back into... whatever she was in before. Evelyn was happy with Joly and Musichetta and Enjolras and with the lifestyle she was living. Albeit she felt a little like she was taking advantage of Joly's hospitality, but she helped out around the house and paid Joly "rent."

Enjolras had tried to refuse Evelyn's offer, but he couldn't. Enjolras knew he acted out of impulse whenever he was around her, casting off his usual level-headedness. She was the definition of irresistible to him, and that was infuriating. He was much too mature to be messing around with women.

...

Evelyn and Enjolras arrived at the fountain at noon. Evelyn carried a bag of candies for her little siblings in her left hand, her right arm slipped into Enjolras's elbow.