From the Corner of the Room

I was a gift given to a youth by the name of Kim Jongdae. I don't know what I am, but Jongdae's best friend said I was junk. Jongdae was adamant about me staying on top of his desk, said I was his good luck charm. So I guess that's what I am, Kim Jongdae's good luck charm.

I've grown to learn about Jongdae from the years of sitting in his bedroom on his study desk. He used to study late into the night with the lamp shining down over his work area. He always looked bored and stressed. A couple of times, I caught him dozing off, but he'd wake back up so suddenly he'd knee the desk and it would feel like an earthquake. Sometimes I'd fall sideways or forwards or backwards. Jongdae would just pick me back up and set me down in my original spot. Sometimes he'd mutter an apology, which I found interesting. It's like he knew I had feelings.

Then one day, Jongdae started packing up everything. He put me in a box with his lamp and the other things that he usually kept on his desk. It was dark for a long while, but soon the ceiling opened and long, slender hands pulled me out. It was Jongdae's best friend, Baekhyun. That's when he called me junk and asked Jongdae why he brought me with him to college.

The two have an interesting relationship. They call themselves best friends, roommates, bros, dudes, perves, and so on. I stick to calling them best friends or lovers. I see them kissing and doing other suggestive practices. Making love, sex, whatever you call it. They always do it in Baekhyun's bed. It makes sense because how would they climb up to the top bunk while they're busy kissing and undressing each other?

The highlight of my day is seeing them together after a long day of classes. Baekhyun always returns to the room first and heats up food in the microwave that he and Jongdae make the night before. Baekhyun would heat enough for the two of them. By the time Jongdae returns, the food is warm and they eat together. That's how they usually do it, but sometimes they order take-out.

They rarely fought, but when they did, Baekhyun would be the one who stormed out while Jongdae remained in the room. Sometimes Jongdae would cry in Baekhyun's bed. I guess if Jongdae just had a fight with his best friend, he'd have no energy to climb up to his own bed.

Once, they fought because Baekhyun had ordered a futon with their emergency funds without consulting with Jongdae. Baekhyun said he was tired of sitting on the floor and the hard chairs. Jongdae told Baekhyun to return the futon but Baekhyun said there were no returns since he got it on clearance. Jongdae got so fed up that he spent what little remained in the emergency funds on a table.

I thought it was the one of the most stupidest things Jongdae had ever done. I know Jongdae was trying to prove a point to Baekhyun, but he could have handled it in a different way, but ever since then, the couple have been doing good at leaving their emergency funds alone. Not to mention they had a table to eat their food on and a futon to sit while they eat. It was actually the futon where they first kissed, but because Jongdae had mixed feelings about the futon, they moved over to Baekhyun's bed. That's where they do everything, on Baekhyun's bed. Did I already mention that?

I call their fights "lovers' quarrel" because it has come to my belief that they are much more than close friends. I have witnessed enough of the young men's activities to think otherwise. From what I've gathered, friends, and especially brothers, don't kiss and make love. Unless you're friends with benefits. I heard that term from one of Baekhyun's friends that he brought over once. Baekhyun didn't say anything.

Most of the time, Jongdae and Baekhyun got along well. I enjoy -- do I have feelings? -- watching them bond. They have their desks side by side. I'm perched on top of Jongdae's desk, but at an angle where I can almost see the whole room. I see Baekhyun's face a lot because he turns to Jongdae and starts talking while they're studying. He's always smiling and I find it endearing. If Jongdae were to fall in love with someone, it should be with someone who's smile is as bright as Baekhyun's.