24 - Behind green eyes

Marrying Mr. Shaw - Chapter Twenty-four - Behind green eyes.

'Look at the sky, we are not alone. The whole universe in friendly to us and conspired only to give the best to those who dream and work' 

                                - Abdul Kalam.

After the dinner with the Shaw's, Chris gave me a tour around the mansion. I must say, the house is unbelievably traditional with a touch of modern designs.

Other then that, I discovered the family in Australia are very country-like. They all had interests in music and apparently, every night they'd go out to the beach to a country band who'd sing their hearts out on a wooden stage with their typical cowboy hats as everyone dances. 

It was nice that the family weren't the cliché rich family so that was a relief to me. 

I was now standing outside Chris's bedroom, the room he avoided me going in. Chris was standing besides me, both of his hands dug in his pockets. 

"We're not going in there." He murmured. 

"Why?" I asked, studying his face. 

He paused. He ran his fingers through his hair then sighed in defeat. He inserted a key inside the key slot then pushed open the door. I was invited by a cold breeze, pushing all the strands of my hair back. 

I gasped. I was now standing in a room that was extremely dark. Dark walls, the floor was rock hard because of the wood, there was a wide window that almost covered it's side of the wall, showing a perfect view of the beach the Shaw's rented. There was a bed just in the corner of the room with a bed-side table that had a broken lamp. There weren't any posters or anything. The room felt empty and...lonely. 

There was a book shelf that stacked many books which were torn and dusted. No T.V, laptop, anything like that. 

The room was so cold it was like as if it was on deliberate. 

How could this be Chris's bedroom? 

I studied Chris. His face was gloomy which gave me a heart ache. His body seemed numb, with his shoulders hunched forward. He was staring at the stance of his feet, his feet close together. His face was blank with no emotion what so ever. He then looked up, staring at me blankly, blinking slowly. 

I was anxious and blanched at this side of Chris. It screamed loneliness. 

He took hold of my hand, closing the door behind him and dragged me softly to his bed. He seated me there and sat besides me.

We both sat in silence, staring at our entwined hands. He rubbed his thumb on my engagement ring slowly as if his thumb was embracing the stone on the ring. 

"When I was 16," He began. He took a deep breath then gazed at me. I nodded slowly to show that he is free to continue. "I was cyber bullied." 

A small gasp escaped my mouth. 

"I didn't have no friends. I was hideous looking—a typical nerd. The so called popular males teased me much more than the females. The females avoided me, like I was an invisible cloth. The males abused me constantly, stating everyday that I am worthless, a waste of life."

"Father said it was because they were jealous of the lack of knowledge I have in me, how smart I am and how I will be successful in life in future but I doubted that was the case. 

I didn't know what to do with my life, I was so depressed with exams and bullies coming in my way, I started thrashing things around—only in my room. Then I became this arrogant idiot, always with a frown on my face, never showing must enthusiasm in family discussions. "