Chapter 24

"I refuse mope around and feel sorry for myself," I shrugged, skimming through my closet for some clothes to wear.

"I know," Sage smiled, looking through one of our many scrapbooks. "But I know you're hurting so you can't fake your feelings about this."

"Yes okay, it hurts." I agreed. "Matt and Addilyn genuinely surprised me. But that doesn't mean my life will be put on hold because of it. I'm having twins, with or without Matt."

"Has he said anything about fathering your babies?" 

I looked at her out of the corner of my eye and shook my head. "No,"

"When is the last time you'd talked to him?" She asked, wrapping up the books and stuffing them back into their box.

"The last time I'd talked to him was the White Out party." I informed her, shifting through my shoes to match my outfit. "I told him I hated him."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Go on with my life?" I shrugged. "What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know," she shook her head. "I'm just impressed with how you're handling this."

To be honest, so am I.

"I will admit, Matt broke me." I took a deep breath. "But I will not let the way I feel about it interfere with what I have to do as a soon-to-be-mother."

"And what's that?"

"Well," I sighed, stepping into a sunflower printed romper. "I am going to move into the guest house and prepare for the twins."

"That's exciting," she agreed. "It's like you're all grown up."

I gave her a tight lipped smile as I threw a light weight sweater over my shoulders.

"So what's this dinner that you're going to?" She asked, packing up her things to leave. 

I shrugged. "I don't really know. My mom wants me to meet some of her co-workers or clients, whatever they are."

"When you're done, call me?" She inquired, heading towards my door. "We'll grab ice cream after, maybe a movie?"

"Sure," I gigged, grabbing my phone and wallet. 

She smiled and left, leaving me in my giant room alone. I hate being alone.

"Audrey are you ready?" My mom yelled from across the hall.

"Yeah!" I yelled back.

"Meet me downstairs, we're leaving in five!" 

I looked over myself in my tall mirror as I ran my fingers through my straightened hair. I really have got to get a haircut.

With a sigh, I grabbed my crutches and hobbled out of my room and carefully conquered the stairs.

"Why do I have to go with you again?" I whined as I took a seat at the kitchen island. 

"Because I want you to meet some really good friends of mine," She said matter-of-factually.

"What does that have to do with me?" I complained, following her out the door and to her car. "I have way better things to do on a Friday night than attend a boring dinner with old people."

She scoffed, climbing in the car. "I am not old."

"You're not young," I smiled, bucking up in the passengers seat.

She laughed, playfully smacking my arm.

I shook my head and pulled out my phone. A missed call from Matt, go figure. I took a deep breath before pulling up his contact to all. But I couldn't bring myself to do it, I didn't know what I was to say to him or how we were to carry on with out lives.