Chapter Twenty-Six

Carter's POV:

Tears spill from my eyes as I push past Harry and walk past the rows of lockers towards my homeroom. As soon as I get there, I slump in my seat.

"So, I hear you and Styles are a thing?"

I look up.

Natalie Jennings. One of the most popular, bitchiest girls in school. "No." I shoot back at her, pulling out my notebook. She looks at me, raising an eyebrow.

"He basically raped you in the hallway, sweetheart. You guys are a thing."

"We're not a thing, Natalie."

She rolls her eyes. "So he's available?

"I guess." I grumble. I write down the date at the top of the paper, in the heading section. "Can you please leave now?"

"Sure thing, sweetie." She gives me a grin, before pushing the chair out and popping a bubble in her mouth. "But you know, whenever Harry's not on the market, girls are standing outside his house, begging for him. And you've totally lost your mind."

"Go."

"Whatever."

I roll my eyes as she walks back to her seat.

~

The day passes by in a blur. I don't see Harry again, after the incident at my locker. Lindsey passes by a few times in the hallway, and she tries to talk to me each time, but every single time I ignore her.

I shove all my books into my backpack, and walk out to the from bus ramp, and look for my dad's red Chevy truck. He's insisted on picking me up until him and my mother decide it's appropriate for me to drive to school, and get my phone and laptop back.

I spot the blinding red paint and open the door. My dad is slumped against the steering wheel on his Blackberry, typing away.

"Good afternoon, Carter."

"Yeah."

"Don't act like that, Carter...it's not my fault."

"Well it sure as hell isn't mine." I mumble.

"Don't use that word."

"It's not like it's a bad word. It's just a word."

"And you're just a stupid girl that's in love with the idea of a dangerous boy." He shoots back. "Strap yourself in. We're going home."

"Oh, really. I thought we were going to the zoo."

"Do not give me attitude, Carter. I've had enough with your goddamn attitude lately. What the hell happened to you?" He pulls out of the school parking lot, and starts going down Seventy first street, passing by the post office.

I bite my bottom lip, trying to keep from screaming at him.

"Or don't answer me."

"It doesn't matter if I answer you or not. It's not gonna make a difference. You ruined my life."

"I didn't ruin your life Carter. If anything, I've helped you immensely."

I look at him, anger filling my eyes. "Yeah. Thanks. Keep me from living. I thought you wanted me to be happy! I was happy with Harry! I was more than happy, and you just want me to stay in the Math club, and keep all straight A's and be the perfect daughter, to complete your perfect family. You want me to do something "useful" with my life. You'd rather me be useful, over happy."

"I never said that, Carter."

"You didn't have to! You didn't have to say anything."

~

My father and I don't talk the rest of the way home. Whenever he pulls into the parking lot, I unstrap myself, and run up the stairs to my room.

I catapault onto the bed, and cry into my pillow. It still smells like Harry.

Goddamn it. Harry Styles. Why should I even care? I was probably just a game to him. I was probably just something like I thought from the beginning. A game. A trick. He tricked me. I want to scream. I want to scream at the top of my lungs and lose my voice so I don't have to talk to anyone. I don't want to be here. I don't want to be with my parents.

I close my eyes, tears soaking the pillow, probably taking away his musky, intoxicating sent, and putting a clean, disgusting scent.

~

Harry's POV:

I lay down on the small couch in Alex's room, my feet draping over the armrests. "Alex?"

"Mmm?"

I look up. He's leaning over his desk, his spine showing slightly on his bare back. A pencil is in hand, and the small desk lamp makes his hair a lighter shade of brown. "I don't wanna love her."

"Why not?" he drops the pencil, and turns around on the swivel chair so that he's facing me.

"Because, she can't love me back."

"She loves you."

"She might love me, but she's not supposed to. I'm not good for her."

"Maybe she's not good for you."

"She probably isn't."

"Then why can't I just tell these feelings to go away. I wanna be with someone else. Natalie Jennings. Kayden Pierce. Someone other than her. I don't wanna think about her. I don't wanna be near her. I wanna not love anyone. I wanna go back to before I knew about her. I wanna go back to the day that I asked her out in the library and not do that." I run my fingers over the carpet, and look at Alex. "Why can't I just tell the feelings to go away? Why can't I just not love her anymore?"

"Harry?" Alex murmurs softly.

"Yeah?"

"She's the one."

"She's not th-"

He cuts me off. "Don't even think about arguing with me. I know it. I know it just like I know Lindsey's the one for me. Carter is the one for you. She's your other piece. She's the one. And Harry...she's not gonna be easy. You're gonna have to chase after her."

"I can't, Alex."

"Goddamn it, Harry. You have to! You have to do something! You know she's the one. You have to chase after her. She's not gonna be that easy. She's not gonna come running. She's scared, and if you don't chase after her, I can guarantee someone else will." He raises an eyebrow at me. "And, Harry.. whenever that happens, we all know what's gonna happen."

"I'm gonna go to jail."

"Exactly. So start chasing her." He turns back around on the swivel chair, and I barely hear him mutter, "Tag, you're it."

~

A/N: ok so, here comes the excuses.. 

eh, so basically, i haven't been updating lately due to family problems, emotional problems, etc. SORRY FOR THE WAIT! blah, blah, i'm a horrible updater, whatever. xD 

y'all gotta remind me to update more if you want me too. o: 

I get lazy. ): #lazygirlprobs

- finally got a tumblr! http://can-u-not-larry.tumblr.com/

if you follow, expect a follow back from me. (: