Undercover {A Prince Harry of Wales Love Story}

new story i just wrote in like an hour. i really like prince harry and thought that some others might be interested in it! it will be a humor type-romance story, but not cliche. i really want some feedback, and then i will continue. i know this opening chapter sucks, but stick with me, it will get better!

Prologue:

Charlie impatiently tapped her high-heeled shoe against the marble flooring of the lobby, hoping that her anxiety and angst would hurry the elevator’s progress to the bottom floor. Glancing down at her watch, she watched in concern as the hand on the clock continued ticking away, yet her elevator seemed to be taking its grand time.

She cursed her luck, realizing that this damn elevator might cost her the job of her dream. This job meant everything to her—more than her own life—and after finally making an impression on her boss; she might lose it because of a goddamn elevator.  

Charlie has been working as an assistant at Star Magazine for the past three years. After graduating college with a PHD in journalism and mass communication, her options seemed unlimited and prosperous in their pay. Yet, she set her heart on one magazine company, and one magazine company only. Star Magazine.

It was one of the most prestigious magazine companies in the world, and yet she was willing to do whatever it took to become a writer for the company—whether it is for a column, blog, or editorial page. But when she arrived, she merely had to beg for them to even look at her transcript.

And that is how Charlie ended up in London, England, working for the Wicked Witch as a personal assistant for Star Magazine. Was it absolute hell? Without a doubt. Did Charlie want to quit her job every second of everyday? Absolutely. Did she ever have pleasing daydreams of “accidentally” throwing her boss off the multiple story building? No question about it.

So why did Charlie stick with this job for 1,194 days and two hours?

Because like every person who has ever started at the bottom of their career, they eventually move up to a higher, more prestigious position. That is at least what Charlie is hoping, after serving her boss on hand-and-feet for over three years, delivering coffee, running across town to snap pictures of the latest celebrity lunch-date, or rubbing her wicked feet.

Charlie shuttered at the memory, just as the elevator doors dinged open. Running inside and pressing the thirty-fourth floor, she mentally prayed that she would arrive on time and receive good news about a possible promotion.

After having to stop at three other floors along the way, (in which Charlie nearly pushed the passengers off) she arrived at her office’s lobby. Shooting the receptionist a frantic smile, the kind older lady motioned towards Charlie’s boss’s office with an uptight motion of the hand.

Clenching her briefcase tightly in one hand and her boss’s coffee in the other, Charlie approached the oak-door, knocking with her elbow. A curt reply from her boss allowed her access into the private office, in which she let out a silent breath of relief.

Lauren O’Connor sat behind her desk, typing away at her keyboard as usual, not even glancing at her assistant. Chewing on her bottom lip, Charlie awkwardly sat down in the seat across from her desk, setting her boss’s daily cup of coffee on her desk.

“So I received your email—”

“Shush,” Lauren snapped, still not making eye contact with Charlie as she continued to stare at her computer screen, holding up a perfectly manicured finger in response to her assistant.

Charlie bit down on her lip, feeling the urge to release a nasty comment towards her boss. Had anyone else in the universe spoke with her in that tone, Charlie would have broken a nose. She was always regarded as a tough cookie, one that would stand up for herself against anyone. But she had to come to the conclusion that she would have to suck up towards this woman if she wanted a promotion within the company.