Chapter 2

“Excuse me, Miss?”

Charlie whipped around at the sound of the deep British voice, which came from right behind her. Her eyes were met with the sight of one royal she least wanted to see especially now, dressed suitably in a polo uniform as his ginger hair blew in the British air. It was no other than Prince Harry of Wales.

‘Fuck my luck,’ Charlie thought to herself bitterly, cursing her luck this lovely morning. ‘And to think that I could be relaxing on my couch watching documentaries on how mermaids truly existed.’

Swaying awkwardly on her high-heeled shoes, Charlie fumbled for the right words to come out of her mouth. Catching her ankle at a delicate angle, she tumbled slightly to her right, Prince Harry reaching to stabilize her, but she was lucky enough to catch herself on a nearby statue within the garden she stood in.

“Oh uh, hey there!” Charlie charmingly said, trying to act somewhat cool as she used the statue’s stable weight to life herself back on her feet. Once back on her feet, she continued to lean her weight on the statue as she casually blew her bangs out of her face, as she plastered a fake smile on her face.

Prince Harry lightly laughed at the young woman, shoving his hands in his pockets. “Uh, hey,” he said, slightly wincing at the word choice, which he was usually band from using while attending royal duties. “May I ask what you are doing out here?”

Charlie clenched her jaw, before trying to appear relaxed before the royal before her. Would it be rude to say no? Or could she possibly laugh it off and act like she had somewhere to go? Maybe she could just smile and walk away, acting like she didn’t hear him?

But then she remembered that she was supposed to make friends with him while on this trip—real good friends. She mentally shuddered at the thought, looking up at him and realizing that he was still waiting for her to answer. What did he say again?

“Oh uh, I was…I was just out here, to uh, I was out here to admire…” Charlie felt her words lingering as she looked around for an answer, before looking at the God-awful statue she was leaning on, “I came to admire this lovely statue!”

Harry furrowed his eyebrows, looking up at the statue she motioned towards, the same one that she used to stabilize herself just minutes before. The iron statue was of a young boy, completely naked with a deadly looking dagger in one hand, while propped up next to a peculiar looking boar.

“Bromsgrove Guild’s statue?” Harry asked, staring at the statue then the young woman, and then back again.

“Uh yeah, for sure!” Charlie said, scoffing as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “It’s just that I really enjoy making art and when I saw this piece from the sunroom, I really thought it would be lovely to sketch sometime during my stay.”

“You’re an artist, yeah?” the Prince inquired, looking quite shocked.

Charlie felt like laughing at his question. In all honesty, she nearly failed her art class throughout junior high and high school, being that she did not contain any artistic ability whatsoever. But she decided to simply nod, another fake smile plastered on her face.

“Well I know that Grandmother has a party this evening here in the gardens, but I can reserve this area for you in the morning.” The Prince stated, stuffing his hands back into the pockets of his polo uniform’s pants.

“Reserve? For what?” Charlie asked, realizing that she zoned out and missed what he was talking about, getting lost completely in his eyes. This simply caused the royal to smile, shaking his head slightly.

“So you can paint the statue,” he explained as he pointed towards the naked boy killing the boar with his chin, “As long as you promise me that I may see it when you finish.”