Chapter One

Charlie anxiously sat in the backseat of the car, looking outside the darkly tinted windows at the crowded London traffic, just a few minutes outside of Buckingham Palace. The mere thought of trying to be someone she wasn’t caused Charlie to nearly vomit her breakfast. She hated to lie, especially when it was to get something as stupid as dirty gossip of the Royal Family.

Not that she knew much about the Royal Family. Being born and raised in America, she was not up to date or obsessed with the royals. I mean sure, she watched the royal wedding of Kate and William, but she could not even name half the members of the family.

Looking down at herself, Charlie hardly recognized herself. After agreeing to go undercover and find hidden and exclusive information of the royal family, she received a dramatic makeover from Star Magazine. In short, they transformed her into a “proper Prime Minister’s daughter,” in which she would blend in and be able to commit towards her story.

For the past few hours, the magazine company has donated countless amounts of money towards her, whether it is for her appropriate articles of clothing, shoes, and etiquette. And to be honest, none of it seemed to be putting ease towards Charlie’s nerves. She simply fiddled with her newly cut locks and bite at her freshly painted nails.  

“Don’t you dare chip that French manicure!” Lauren slapped her hand away from her mouth, trying to keep her appearance in tact. “Lucky for you, your appearance is the one thing that you have on your side in this undercover story.”

Charlie wasn’t sure to take that as a compliment for an insult, so she decided on the latter. Glancing back outside the window, she asked, “Are you sure that you are going to be able to get me inside Buckingham Palace. The security is not going to be easily fooled.”

Lauren smirked deviously, sitting in the seat across from Charlie within the backseat of the fancy looking car. “Star Magazine always has connections, Miss Anderson. One of our young editors just so happens to be married to the commander and chief security guard of the Buckingham Palace. She was able to get inside his schedule journal and write down a note that stated that Miss Abigail Rutte would be arriving this morning as a last second guest. When we arrive in this nice looking vehicle with our ‘chauffeur,’” Lauren explained as she pointed towards our receptionist who was driving the rented car, “They will not doubt that you are indeed the Prime Minister’s daughter.”

Charlie still felt uneasy, despite how well thought-out the plan was. “What if they need some sort of proof?” Charlie asked, to which Lauren rolled her eyes, pulling a thick pocket-sized book out of her pocket.

Handing the book towards Charlie, Lauren clarified, “That is a fake passport that Star Magazine created last night. The CEO made sure that it was official looking and held the real Abigail’s personal information within it.”

“The CEO?” Charlie repeated a whole octave higher than usual, her jaw nearly dropping to the floor of the rented car’s carpet. “The CEO of Star Magazine knows about this undercover story?”

“Sweetheart, he is the one that created this idea,” Lauren explained with a humorless chuckle, “And he is also the one that chose you to be the detective for this story. So if I were you, I would do a wonderful job of getting every dirty detail out of the Royal family while you are staying with them. You know? Like bond with Kate over her new baby in the oven, get the details on the gender and what not. Go for a one-on-one tea party with the Queen of England and learn her future plans for the country—anything. But there was one thing that the CEO did require that you do…”